Author Topic: Why we get the leaders we deserve (Mitt Romney and the narcissism of politicians)  (Read 241 times)

Offline mountaineer

Why we get the leaders we deserve
Clint Betts
Nov 21, 2023
In 2017, I attended the closing dinner of Mitt Romney’s annual summit in Park City, Utah. It was an impressive event held at the Stein Ericksen Lodge. Influential politicians (mostly, but not entirely, Republicans), cable news talking heads, and the peculiars (as I’ve come to call them) who donate large sums of money to political campaigns were in attendance.  ...

The guest of honor that evening was Joe Biden. If you’ll recall, Donald Trump was serving his first year as president. The group gathered this particular evening didn’t seem to care for that fact, which is likely why it didn’t seem strange that Biden and Romney were scheduled to close the event with a one-on-one fireside chat.  ... Of course, there was no time to focus on the past. The country was being run by what both men perceived to be a dangerous demagogue who was willing to say anything — no matter how vile — to win an election.  ...

Biden said words I recognized, but the order in which he delivered them made no sense. The only string of words I managed to comprehend concerned him encouraging Romney to run for Senate. “We need leaders like you back there,” he mumbled. No one seemed to care that Biden had the opposite view only a few years back.

I left the event confused. On the ride home, two questions popped into my head: Is there any difference between the Democratic and Republican parties? Does Joe Biden have dementia?  ...

We’re searching for answers in the wrong direction. Rather than looking at the politicians, we should be looking at ourselves. After all, the power and notoriety they attain comes from us. We choose these people. The narcissism they exude stares back at us through the mirror.

The truth is we don’t care that politicians can’t tell us why they deserve the power to govern us. We don’t care what their motivations are; we just know they don’t align with ours.  ...
Read entire essay at CEO.com
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline DefiantMassRINO

It's the Primary system that's broken.

Reasonable people have left both parties, giving the whackadoodles more relative power within the parties.

Leaving the GOP won't fix anything because the Sedition Caucus and Coo Coo Caucus folks ain't going anywhere.  Nowhere else will take them.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline LMAO

Elections have become nothing more than one side boasting about drinking the losing sides tears
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy