Author Topic: Trump hints at expanded role for the military within the US  (Read 1132 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump hints at expanded role for the military within the US
« on: November 27, 2023, 03:58:45 pm »
ABC News

WASHINGTON -- Campaigning in Iowa this year, Donald Trump said he was prevented during his presidency from using the military to quell violence in primarily Democratic cities and states.

Calling New York City and Chicago “crime dens,” the front-runner for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination told his audience, “The next time, I’m not waiting. One of the things I did was let them run it and we’re going to show how bad a job they do,” he said. “Well, we did that. We don’t have to wait any longer.”

Trump has not spelled out precisely how he might use the military during a second term, although he and his advisers have suggested they would have wide latitude to call up units. While deploying the military regularly within the country's borders would be a departure from tradition, the former president already has signaled an aggressive agenda if he wins, from mass deportations to travel bans imposed on certain Muslim-majority countries.

A law first crafted in the nation’s infancy would give Trump as commander in chief almost unfettered power to do so, military and legal experts said in a series of interviews.

more
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/trump-hints-expanded-role-military-us-legacy-law-105172859
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Trump hints at expanded role for the military within the US
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2023, 04:50:20 pm »
I am not a big fan of this concept, but if it means doing to the Cartels, what Israel did to Hamas?

Go for it Donny
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2023, 05:27:03 pm »
Keep in mind that precedents set are not lightly discarded, and will be used by others when they get the chance. "Insurrection" is a word which has been thrown about pretty lightly, and it appears what constitutes an insurrection depends on the eye of the beholder.

Kenosha, Minneapolis, Fergusson, and other loot/burn/riot extravaganzas doing billions of dollars damage were not labelled "insurrections" while a predominantly peaceful protest at the Nation's Capitol has been repeatedly referred to as such.

Had Biden and his cronies been in office at that time (Trump was still POTUS on 1/6, Biden had not taken office), would the crowd in DC that day have been surrounded by troops?

I'm leery of anyone in a hurry to call out our military on us, especially when no one seems inclined to use that selfsame military to close out southern border.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2023, 05:50:49 pm »
ABC News

WASHINGTON -- Campaigning in Iowa this year, Donald Trump said he was prevented during his presidency from using the military to quell violence in primarily Democratic cities and states.

Calling New York City and Chicago “crime dens,” the front-runner for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination told his audience, “The next time, I’m not waiting. One of the things I did was let them run it and we’re going to show how bad a job they do,” he said. “Well, we did that. We don’t have to wait any longer.”

Trump has not spelled out precisely how he might use the military during a second term, although he and his advisers have suggested they would have wide latitude to call up units. While deploying the military regularly within the country's borders would be a departure from tradition, the former president already has signaled an aggressive agenda if he wins, from mass deportations to travel bans imposed on certain Muslim-majority countries.

A law first crafted in the nation’s infancy would give Trump as commander in chief almost unfettered power to do so, military and legal experts said in a series of interviews.

more
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/trump-hints-expanded-role-military-us-legacy-law-105172859

The headline of that article is misleading.
There's no quote from Trump in that article claiming that he was "prevented" from using troops to quell those riots.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2023, 07:14:37 pm »
From my reading of the “Insurrection Act” Trump was well within his right to use the military to control the riots in the summer of 2020, or as one Democrat called it, “The Summer of Love.”

I don’t know if these Democrat mayors and governors were unable to squelch the riots. But they sure were unwilling to
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline LMAO

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline libertybele

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2023, 07:47:37 pm »
From my reading of the “Insurrection Act” Trump was well within his right to use the military to control the riots in the summer of 2020, or as one Democrat called it, “The Summer of Love.”

I don’t know if these Democrat mayors and governors were unable to squelch the riots. But they sure were unwilling to

@LMAO  Yes, indeed he could have implemented "Insurrection Act"and at the time I was told by some that it would possibly have a negative impact on his re-election. Obviously not and quite the opposite. 

The governors did give him a hard time -- but nonetheless the Insurrection Act was a tool that he FAILED to utilize and the riots and mobs were allowed to take control; they called his bluff because he on two separate occasions promised to halt the riots. IMHO this is Trump's biggest failures and cost him the election.  He opted for politics over country and that is one reason why I cannot and will not vote for him again.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2023, 11:05:48 pm »
Nothing but wouldas, shouldas, and couldas from the members of this forum.

I was about the only one here in 2020 calling for Mr. Trump to "send in the troops" against the antifa and blm commies in places like Seattle (remember "chaz"?), Portland, Minneapolis, et. al.

And nearly EVERYONE here replied, "no, that's a terrible idea".
But if Mr. Trump had done so in 2020, he'd still be president today.

I tilt my ears to hear the changin' tunes here...

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2023, 11:09:30 pm »

I was about the only one here in 2020 calling for Mr. Trump to "send in the troops" against the antifa and blm commies in places like Seattle (remember "chaz"?), Portland, Minneapolis, et. al.

@Fishrrman

Looking back, IMO, that's exactly for what the Obama Cartel was counting on.

President Trump played it smart.

He won the Election in 2020.  The rest is history.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline LMAO

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2023, 11:26:04 pm »

I remember differently

There were several who agreed he should invoke the Insurrection Act. It was many of his supporters who opposed it such as @LegalAmerican

He let the Democrats call the shots by not invoking it. They walked all over him due to his weakness

« Last Edit: November 27, 2023, 11:27:59 pm by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater

Offline LMAO

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2023, 11:30:20 pm »

Looking back, IMO, that's exactly for what the Obama Cartel was counting on.

Lol

The reasons for voting for Trump are diminishing to nothing more than "to own the libs"

Barry Goldwater

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2023, 11:34:25 pm »
I remember differently

There were several who agreed he should invoke the Insurrection Act. It was many of his supporters who opposed it such as @LegalAmerican

He let the Democrats call the shots by not invoking it. They walked all over him due to his weakness

LOL!  They're screaming right now today, that he will round Americans up and execute anyone he feels like. 

And it's a year before the election...he's under indictment...and there's a price on his head.

Yeah...Kent State happened and LBJ declined to run for a 2nd term.  Enter Richard Nixon.

Setting the military after Antifa and BLM in the Summer of Love?

ARE YOU ALL NUTZ???    :laugh:

PS:  Luv all you guys...long time! 
« Last Edit: November 27, 2023, 11:36:00 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline LMAO

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2023, 11:48:17 pm »
LOL!  They're screaming right now today, that he will round Americans up and execute anyone he feels like. 

And it's a year before the election...he's under indictment...and there's a price on his head.

Yeah...Kent State happened and LBJ declined to run for a 2nd term.  Enter Richard Nixon.

Setting the military after Antifa and BLM in the Summer of Love?

ARE YOU ALL NUTZ???    :laugh:

PS:  Luv all you guys...long time!

Nope

Presidents have used the Insurrection Act. Trump was well within his rights to invoke it. It it doesn't mean rounding up people and executing them

The last one to use it was GHWB. It's been used between 20 and 30 times

Besides, Kent State was in 1970 and Nixon was already president and got re elected in a landslide

We're told how Trump is going to fight the left yet then we are told that he couldn't while president because he would've upset them. Which is it?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2023, 11:57:15 pm by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2023, 01:27:38 am »
Lol

The reasons for voting for Trump are diminishing to nothing more than "to own the libs"

I get that feeling as well....

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2023, 01:43:52 am »
Nope

Presidents have used the Insurrection Act. Trump was well within his rights to invoke it. It it doesn't mean rounding up people and executing them

The last one to use it was GHWB. It's been used between 20 and 30 times

Besides, Kent State was in 1970 and Nixon was already president and got re elected in a landslide

We're told how Trump is going to fight the left yet then we are told that he couldn't while president because he would've upset them. Which is it?

@LMAO

Thanks for setting me straight on date of "Kent State Massacre" as it was billed at the time.

It was a catalyst of sorts to get the anti-war crowd on their feet...but another subject.

Even with hindsight, I don't see any POSITIVE outcome for Pres. Trump had he invoked the Insurrection Act.
His attitude...which was a Conservative one...let the local and State police handle their own riots and keep the Fed out of it.

Can you imagine if the military shot and killed violent demonstrators?
They even made George Floyd a 'Saint'.    happy77

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2023, 01:52:23 am »

Trump was in a no-win situation. He sends in troops unilaterally (without City or State request) and he's the Hitler everyone on the Left claimed he was.

Like Bush with Katrina, he could not legally send in the troops without a request for aid.

That wasn't coming, so everyone on the Left could ultimately point fingers at Trump.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.  :shrug:

In the instance of BLM and ANTIFA rioting, the National Guard had to be sent in at the request of Mayors or Governors of the respective jurisdictions. 

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2023, 01:54:54 am »
@LMAO

Thanks for setting me straight on date of "Kent State Massacre" as it was billed at the time.

It was a catalyst of sorts to get the anti-war crowd on their feet...but another subject.

Even with hindsight, I don't see any POSITIVE outcome for Pres. Trump had he invoked the Insurrection Act.
His attitude...which was a Conservative one...let the local and State police handle their own riots and keep the Fed out of it.

Can you imagine if the military shot and killed violent demonstrators?
They even made George Floyd a 'Saint'.    happy77
I agree, and thought so at the time.

As for George Floyd, see this if you haven't https://www.thefallofminneapolis.com/

C S Lewis

Offline LMAO

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2023, 02:00:12 am »

As for George Floyd, see this if you haven't https://www.thefallofminneapolis.com/

Thanks for posting that

I've heard of such a documentary existing but was unable to find it

Barry Goldwater

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2023, 02:18:26 am »
I agree, and thought so at the time.

:beer:

Offline LMAO

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2023, 02:31:26 am »
FWIW, here's an excerpt from the I. A.

https://policy.defense.gov/portals/11/documents/hdasa/references/insurrection_act.pdf

(1)
(2) [so hinders the execution of the laws of that State, and of the United States
within the State, that any part or class of its people is deprived of a right, privilege,
immunity, or protection named in the Constitution and secured by law, and the
constituted authorities of that State are unable, fail, or refuse to protect that right,
privilege, or immunity, or to give that protection; or

or obstructs the execution of the laws of the United States or impedes
the course of justice under those laws. [/b]
[/b]

So were the Democrat mayors and governors unable, failed, or refused to control the unrest :shrug:
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 02:33:11 am by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2023, 02:41:36 am »

...snip

So were the Democrat mayors and governors unable, failed, or refused to control the unrest :shrug:

Pallets of FROZEN plastic water bottles.  Pallets of bricks all neatly delivered. 

Police ordered to not intervene. 

What other conclusion could any thinking person come to?

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2023, 06:47:02 am »
FWIW, here's an excerpt from the I. A.

https://policy.defense.gov/portals/11/documents/hdasa/references/insurrection_act.pdf

(1)
(2) [so hinders the execution of the laws of that State, and of the United States
within the State, that any part or class of its people is deprived of a right, privilege,
immunity, or protection named in the Constitution and secured by law, and the
constituted authorities of that State are unable, fail, or refuse to protect that right,
privilege, or immunity, or to give that protection; or

or obstructs the execution of the laws of the United States or impedes
the course of justice under those laws. [/b]
[/b]

Considering they propagated the lies that incited much of the violence, often either before lab results were in, or in statements contrary to those results, and then refused to use the means at their disposal to stop it, even ordered police precincts to be abandoned rather than defended, to me the question is not so much as you have posed it, but rather as whether they were pandering to the rioting demographic out of sympathy or for votes?

Either way, they failed to do their jobs.
They did not just abandon the police, but abandoned the safety and well-being of their jurisdictions. Watch the video linked up thread for the details. It's damning.

The outside resources would have been made available had they asked, no doubt. They never asked. They never gave the people they had what they needed to quell the riots early on (less than lethal munitions), they sided with those who claimed victimhood based on lies, and even 'settled' with them while criminal court cases were pending.

That environment denied those selected as fall guys in that scenario their 6th amendment, 14th Amendment, and 5th amendment rights, which remains the case to this day. Only Kyle Rittenhouse got anything approaching a fair shake.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2023, 06:47:44 am »
Pallets of FROZEN plastic water bottles.  Pallets of bricks all neatly delivered. 

Police ordered to not intervene. 

What other conclusion could any thinking person come to?
The conclusion is Collusion.

C S Lewis

Offline LMAO

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2023, 02:29:46 pm »
It is clear by the language in the Insurrection Act that, no, the president can act against riots without the permission of state governors. And presidents have used it in the past over the protest of state governors. President Kennedy, versus George Wallace, then governor of Alabama, is an example.

Eisenhower also invoked it at the protest of the then Arkansas governor to enforce desegregation at the Little Rock high school

So it wouldn’t be like Trump would be setting a precedent

The “he didn’t invoke it  because he was worried that Democrats would be mad at him” seems like a very weak argument considering the amount of damage that not only the Democrats allowed to happen in these states and cities, but cheered them on. It allowed the Democrats to create and amplify the chaos that they could throw in the pot, along with COVID, against Donald Trump’s reelection effort  and he took the bait

To use federal troops to squelch the riots isn’t some new power that Donald Trump made up

« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 02:34:28 pm by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater

Offline LMAO

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2023, 02:58:31 pm »
I get that feeling as well....

As these threads go on, the reasons that his supporters give to vote for Trump diminish. We couldn’t try to reign in the Covid spending because that would upset Democrats. We can’t debate meaningful entitlement reform because that will upset Democrats and anyone who suggests it causes his MAGAs to adopt the Democrats talking points. We can’t control the out-of-control riot in the cities because that will upset Democrats. We can’t try to reduce the power size of the federal government, because that would mean a dictatorship and it would upset Democrats

I have no doubt that if Donald Trump got elected  that “liberal’s heads would ‘splode”. But they’ll do that with whatever Republican gets elected, even if it was someone like Liz Cheney

I just personally require more than just upsetting the ladies on The View

Barry Goldwater