Author Topic: MIT Goes Easy on Foreign Students Who Violated the Civil Rights of American Students in Order to Pro  (Read 173 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
MIT Goes Easy on Foreign Students Who Violated the Civil Rights of American Students in Order to Protect Their Visas
November 14, 2023

Ira Mehlman
Media Director
Last Thursday, an anti-Israel group calling itself the Coalition Against Apartheid (CAA) staged a “demonstration” on the campus of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). CAA took over a campus building, during which the insurrectionists “obstruct[ed] Jewish students from attending classes.” The action was part of CAA’s demonstration of support for Hamas and their opposition to Israel’s efforts to expel the terror group from their base in Gaza. Rather than take action against students engaging in blatant civil rights violations, “Jewish students specifically were warned not to enter MIT’s front entrance due to a risk to their physical safety,” by school officials. Ominously, the event that denied Jewish students the right to enter and attend class at one of the most prestigious American universities coincided with the 85th anniversary of Kristallnacht in Nazi Germany.

After four hours of occupying the campus building, MIT officials ordered the CAA to leave the building and threatened to suspend students who refused. Not only did the insurrectionists continue to occupy the building, “the CAA proceeded to invite more students and non-MIT protestors to join them in calling for a violent uprising (‘Intifada’).”

Several hours later, university president Sally Kornbluth backed off her threat to suspend students who not only took over a campus building, but had barred the entry of a specific group of students based on their religious identity. Her reason for not carrying through on her threat had to do with the fact that a significant number of the insurrectionists blatantly violating the civil rights of other students are foreign nationals. Suspension might have jeopardized their student visas.

https://www.fairus.org/blog/2023/11/14/mit-goes-easy-foreign-students-who-violated-civil-rights-american-students-order
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson