Author Topic: Stop pretending to be thankful. We live in an age ruled by resentment  (Read 1025 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Stop pretending to be thankful
We live in an age ruled by resentment
BY KATHLEEN STOCK
. Thank you for your country. (Andrew Caballero-Reynolds/AFP/Getty)

Kathleen Stock is an UnHerd columnist, former professor of philosophy and Founding Faculty Fellow at UATX.
Docstockk
November 24, 2023

It’s Thanksgiving week in the US and, taking time off from their usual diet of gloom and uneasy foreboding, various American media outlets have been asking readers to list things for which they feel grateful. I don’t know about you, but personally I thank my lucky stars that the British are too self-conscious to have any national ritual of gratitude on our books. Against a secular backdrop, trying to conjure up a feeling of thankfulness towards no one in particular has always seemed to me a bit like attempting to experience remorse for something I know I haven’t done. In both cases, all I can do is make what I hope are vaguely appropriate facial movements, and pray I get away with it.

There is also a worry that vague statements of gratitude, launched diffusely into the void, perversely make it less likely that we will give credit to real human benefactors where it is actually due. It’s so much less effort to mentally thank the universe than to thank a friend out loud, after all. But such misgivings seem to put me in a minority. Along with kindness, the bland social capital of unfocused gratitude has been surging for a while now — much beloved of yoga teachers and Instagram influencers, and perfect for a humblebrag when you want to show off about that new kitchen extension without making it seem obvious (#grateful).

In a similar vein, various academics and medics frequently extoll the benefits of a daily “gratitude practice” for things such as combatting depression and boosting the immune system. We are presented with psychological case studies like that of the unfortunate “Susanna”, described in one influential journal article from 2013. Immediately after her husband had a terrible motorcycle accident and went into a coma, Susanna discovered that he had been having an affair with her friend for years. And that wasn’t all — she also found out that he had been secretly addicted to gambling and had emptied their bank account. Still, luckily for her, the article reported that Susanna was able to shift “to a context of thinking about all she still had in her life, as well as a stance of gratitude for the opportunities that remained open to her”, and so was able to continue functioning despite these crushing blows.

https://unherd.com/2023/11/stop-pretending-to-be-thankful/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Stop pretending to be thankful. We live in an age ruled by resentment
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2023, 06:35:48 pm »
Sorry, but I will always be thankful.  Not sorry.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline LMAO

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2023, 07:29:59 pm »

Ditto
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2023, 08:07:39 pm »
What would anyone expect from a professor of philosophy but drivel, Why would I or anyone pay attention to someone telling them how or who to be thankful? Certainly not I!

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2023, 08:22:23 pm »
Resentment corrodes the soul of man from within.  It's like taking poison, but expecting the other guy to die.

An attitude of gratitude keeps me grounded.

Fear, anger, and resentment are the strings of bondage of wannabe puppet masters.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2023, 08:50:22 pm »
:thumbsup:

Offline berdie

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2023, 09:22:13 pm »
The thing is...I'm not pretending to be grateful. I truly am.

Nobody promised anyone a rose garden in life. But if you are thankful for the people in your life, the circumstances (both good and bad) and the blessings...you'll be alot happier. This writer clearly doesn't do any of those things.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2023, 11:40:35 pm »
The first paragraph of the source article above was... well, it was about as good an example of "gibberish" as I could imagine.

I read no further.

And, just after I turn out the light and get into bed at night, think to myself...
"thankful"...

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2023, 12:07:24 am »
Had 3 people I know get cancer in the past year. So that alone makes me thankful I have health, for now.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2023, 12:58:37 am »
The 'diet of gloom and foreboding' disappears if one quits watching the news and listening to idiots like this one.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2023, 01:03:23 am »
I am grateful that G-d has adopted me into His family and made me a co-heir with His Son, and that nothing could ever separate me from His love.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2023, 10:02:58 am »
The thing is...I'm not pretending to be grateful. I truly am.

Nobody promised anyone a rose garden in life. But if you are thankful for the people in your life, the circumstances (both good and bad) and the blessings...you'll be alot happier. This writer clearly doesn't do any of those things.
Well said. It is amazing, though, how people have been taught to ENVY (It's the basis of most marketing to get the prospect to want what they do not have).
It sure is an express ticket to resentment and makes for a lot of 'the glass is half empty' people. .
Life is easier when you count your blessings and you are independent enough that what others have doesn't really affect you. Then it is easy to be happy with yourself, and genuinely happy for them.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline berdie

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2023, 04:42:33 pm »
Well said. It is amazing, though, how people have been taught to ENVY (It's the basis of most marketing to get the prospect to want what they do not have).
It sure is an express ticket to resentment and makes for a lot of 'the glass is half empty' people. .
Life is easier when you count your blessings and you are independent enough that what others have doesn't really affect you. Then it is easy to be happy with yourself, and genuinely happy for them.

I never thought of it, but you are correct. Envy is probably the root cause of most unhappiness.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2023, 09:51:55 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4ujS1er1r0

:beer:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2023, 03:42:17 am »
In the worlds of the immortal Krusty the Clown... "what the hell was that?"

I honestly tried to make sense of what she was trying to say... but it felt like AI-generated babble.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2023, 01:23:47 pm »
I honestly tried to make sense of what she was trying to say... but it felt like AI-generated babble.
I think you've hit upon it.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2023, 01:30:24 pm »

I never thought of it, but you are correct. Envy is probably the root cause of most unhappiness.

Uh...then @sneakypete  was correct all along?   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2023, 02:52:22 pm »
Uh...then @sneakypete  was correct all along?   :laugh:
First you would have to find someone that envied Trump :shrug: good luck with that....