Author Topic: US Navy: ‘Non-kinetic effects’ will likely decide the next war  (Read 244 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
US Navy: ‘Non-kinetic effects’ will likely decide the next war
The service’s new cyber strategy lays out lines of effort for a new era of warfare.
LAUREN C. WILLIAMS | NOVEMBER 22, 2023
NAVY CYBER

What is seapower’s decisive weapon? Not missiles or torpedoes, declares the U.S. Navy’s new cyber strategy.

“The next fight against our major adversary will be like no other,” the 14-page document begins. “The use of non-kinetic effects and defense against those effects prior to and during kinetic exchanges will likely be the deciding factor in who prevails.”

It’s a bold statement, and meant to be, says the Navy’s first, and now former, principal cyber advisor. Chris Cleary, who stepped down on Tuesday, said it’s imperative that the Navy see cyber warfare as far more than networks and cybersecurity.

“It's a warfighting discipline that we should consider a core competency, and, more importantly, professionalize around,” Cleary said in an interview on his last day at the Pentagon.

https://www.defenseone.com/defense-systems/2023/11/us-navy-non-kinetic-effects-will-likely-decide-next-war/392263/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: US Navy: ‘Non-kinetic effects’ will likely decide the next war
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2023, 06:36:19 pm »
Wrong!  It will always be won by people.  Who would you expect to be successful in a war, a Black Jack Pershing or a Thoroughly Woke Milley?
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: US Navy: ‘Non-kinetic effects’ will likely decide the next war
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2023, 07:06:57 pm »
A weapon is only as good as a commander's willingness to use it, and its proper application by competent, trained personnel.

An old salt can navigate a ship without any electronic gizmo's.

4-masted schooners could make a come back.

Cyber is only as much of a liability as your overall dependence upon it.

One way to disable an enemy's ability to conduct offensive cyber warfare is to deprive them of electricity or fry the electronics with an electro-magnetic pulse.

No electrons = no electricity = no cyber

America's electricity and telecommunications infrastructure is highly vulnerable to sabotage and accidents.

A 2001 train derailment in Baltimore disrupted Internet communications.

In 2003, a tree fell in Ohio, and most of the Northeast lost electricity.  Since then, America has under-invested in electrical infrastructure because of the Global Climate Change nonsense and NIMBY's.

By 2050, a cloudy, windless day could leave America in the dark.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright