Author Topic: Radical Magazine: Stop the 'Trauma,' Replace Thanksgiving with Decolonized 'Truthsgiving'  (Read 199 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Radical Magazine: Stop the 'Trauma,' Replace Thanksgiving with Decolonized 'Truthsgiving'
Tim Graham
November 23rd, 2023 6:07 AM
Text to Speech

The radical leftists at The Nation can be counted on to be the Debbie Downers of Thanksgiving. In a feature they mysteriously called "The Debate," two native American activists both argue that the holiday is grievously wrong and it should be a day for "centering the Indigenous perspective." The headline:

Should America Keep Celebrating Thanksgiving?

Sean Sherman argues that we need to decolonize Thanksgiving, while Chase Iron Eyes calls for replacing Thanksgiving with a “Truthsgiving.”

Sean Sherman provided the picture-perfect leftist indictment of American mythology:

For many Americans, the image of Thanksgiving is one of supposed unity: the gathering of “Pilgrims and Indians” in a harmonious feast. But this version obscures the harsh truth, one steeped in colonialism, violence, and misrepresentation…The sanitized version of Thanksgiving neglects to mention the violence, land theft, and subsequent decimation of Indigenous populations. Needless to say, this causes tremendous distress to those of us who are still reeling from the trauma of these events to our communities.

"Decolonize" Thanksgiving and break your bond with capitalism!

https://newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/tim-graham/2023/11/23/radical-magazine-stop-trauma-replace-thanksgiving-decolonized
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson