Author Topic: BREAKING: Vehicle explosion at Rainbow Bridge closes all WNY border crossing between U.S., Canada  (Read 2937 times)

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
$300K Bentley which crashed and exploded on Rainbow Bridge may have experienced mechanical problems
By Social Links for Melissa Koenig
Published Nov. 24, 2023
Updated Nov. 24, 2023, 2:50 p.m. ET

The deadly high-speed crash that sparked panic at a Niagara Falls border checkpoint this week is being investigated as possible mechanical failure — despite it being a new $300,000 Bentley, police confirmed to The Post on Friday.

Driver Kurt Villani and his wife Monica, both 53, were killed instantly Wednesday when their 2022 Flying Spur literally took flight after hitting a barrier at around 100mph, crashing down in a huge fireball on the New York side of Rainbow Bridge.

It sparked a heightened state of alert, with several other border crossings shuttered — until the FBI confirmed that night that it had found “no explosive material, and no terrorism nexus.”

Niagara Falls cops are now investigating it as a “traffic investigation” — and looking at whether the luxury British car simply malfunctioned.

An earlier recall by the luxury British brand involved fears accelerator pedals could get stuck, but Bentley said it did not apply to the Villanis’ one.

“We’re investigating every issue,” police Superintendent John Faso told The Post Friday when asked about possible mechanical failure.

more
https://nypost.com/2023/11/24/news/bentley-that-exploded-on-rainbow-bridge-may-have-experienced-mechanical-problems/

So She was driving... got it...

/end sarcasm
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
It's odd but when I looked up problems with Bentley Flying Spurs, uncontrolled acceleration and explosive disintegration were not one of the common problems listed.
https://www.westminstermotors.ca/knowledge-center/the-most-common-bentley-repair-problems#:~:text=One%20of%20the%20significant%20Bentley,and%20corrosion%20on%20the%20radiator.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The new Bentley is a fly-by-wire setup with no direct linkage between throttle (gas pedal) and the engine.
There is no throttle cable.
Throttle setting on the engine is controlled by a sensor on the accelerator, and there are aftermarket mods to improve or alter throttle response. I have no clue whether modifications to the throttle control system or a malfunction and /or modification of the factory setup had any part to play in the accident.
Some modifications are software only and do not require the addition or removal of factory equipment, merely an 'upgrade'. They are also reversible.
While there is a possibility of a medical event leading to the throttle being floored and kept there, this also raises the question of whether there is any way the car could have been hacked, either by someone with direct access or through other communication means to produce a throttle response. OBD port connections are sufficient for some mods. Can that be accessed remotely, too?

(Keep in mind the proposed 'kill switches' for new cars).

Go ahead and call me paranoid, but someone who has a Bentley has means.
People with means can be subject to criminal motives, both from sane or insane malicious actors. It would be difficult to prove any such, and only access to the car's records and any orders of such modifications, provided there were any, would indicate possibilities from that. Can that software be accessed from a remote location?

Prayers up for the victims and their family.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis