Author Topic: Mental health not costing many troops security clearances, data shows  (Read 165 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Mental health not costing many troops security clearances, data shows
By Geoff Ziezulewicz and Davis Winkie
 Nov 22, 05:00 AM

Despite widespread fears in the ranks that getting mental health treatment will impact a service member's security clearance, Defense Department data shows that is largely not the case. (DOD)
Editor’s note: this article has been updated.

For years, military leaders have insisted that troops in need of mental health care should reach out without worrying it will adversely impact their professional path.

Yet despite these assurances, fears still exist within the ranks that seeking help could lead to their security clearance being denied or revoked, sinking a career in the process.

But Defense Department data obtained exclusively by Military Times reveals that is not the case, and that troops lose or are denied a security clearance due to psychological issues at a low rate, and far less often than other disqualifying categories.

The Defense Counterintelligence and Security Agency, or DCSA, the body in charge of assessing candidates and processing clearances throughout the DOD, has 13 guidelines that can lead to a service member having their clearance denied or revoked.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-navy/2023/11/22/mental-health-doesnt-cost-troops-security-clearances-data-shows/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Mental health not costing many troops security clearances, data shows
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2023, 04:18:07 pm »
If it did, the CIC wouldn't have a clearance of any sort. **nononono*
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson