Author Topic: Transgender vets threaten to sue VA over delay in surgery options  (Read 140 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Transgender vets threaten to sue VA over delay in surgery options
By Leo Shane III
 Nov 21, 12:12 PM

Veterans advocates are threatening legal action to force Veterans Affairs officials to provide gender-confirmation surgery options to patients, a promise made by department leaders more than two years ago.

In a letter to VA attorneys sent Monday, members of the Transgender American Veterans Association and Yale Law School Veterans Legal Services Clinic said the move may be necessary given the slow pace of work on the issue within the department. The groups said they want VA to unveil a formal rulemaking plan detailing when they will begin providing the surgeries.

“Transgender veterans have waited far too long for the medically necessary health care they require,” said Rebekka Eshler, president of TAVA, in a statement. “It is high time that Secretary McDonough follows through on his public promises to the transgender veteran community. Statements are nothing without action.”

The National Center for Transgender Equality has estimated that there are more than 134,000 transgender veterans in America today, and another 15,000 transgender individuals serving in the armed forces.

https://www.militarytimes.com/veterans/2023/11/21/transgender-vets-threaten-to-sue-va-over-delay-in-surgery-options/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Transgender vets threaten to sue VA over delay in surgery options
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2023, 04:36:14 pm »
If they just claim they are being discriminated against, they'll have what they want within 24 hours. *****rollingeyes*****
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson