Author Topic: Texas Judges Call on Biden to Block State’s New Immigration Law  (Read 188 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Texas Judges Call on Biden to Block State’s New Immigration Law
The judges argue that the legislation would upend immigration law nationally
Published 11/22/23 08:28 AM ET|Updated 2 hr ago
Eva Surovell

Agroup of Texas judges have sent a letter urging President Joe Biden to intervene and stop legislation signed by GOP Texas Gov. Greg Abbott that would permit state judges to deport people, even while seeking asylum, arguing that the bill "is as unprecedented as Texas trying to declare its own wars."

"We are writing to express our profound concern over legislation recently passed by the Texas legislature that makes local communities less safe, interferes with federal immigration enforcement, threatens our relationships with other nations and does not get us any closer to sound immigration policy," the letter reads.

The Texas House of Representatives approved the legislation last week. The bill allocates more than $1.5 billion to construct border barriers and makes it a crime to illegally cross the Texas-Mexico border.

Abbott celebrated the bill's passage in a post on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter, last week.

https://themessenger.com/politics/texas-judges-call-on-biden-to-block-states-new-immigration-law
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Texas Judges Call on Biden to Block State’s New Immigration Law
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2023, 03:20:26 pm »
Does anyone know if the president can unilaterally negate state laws?  It seems only dictators would  have that authority.  On the other hand, maybe Biden believes himself to be a dictator. :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson