Author Topic: Bowman: West Bank Is Like Jim Crow South and Israel Won’t Have Security Without ‘Palestinian Freedom  (Read 289 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Bowman: West Bank Is Like Jim Crow South and Israel Won’t Have Security Without ‘Palestinian Freedom’

Ian Hanchett 21 Nov 2023

On Tuesday’s broadcast of MSNBC’s “Alex Wagner Tonight,” Rep. Jamaal Bowman (D-NY) stated that “We have been saying for so long, we are pro-Israel, pro-Israel’s right to exist, pro-Israel’s right to defend itself and self-determination. But we haven’t been saying the same thing about Palestinians.” And “Israel’s safety and security [are] directly connected to Palestinian freedom, safety, and security.”

Bowman said, “I think, for a very long time, we’ve been having one conversation without the other. We have been saying for so long, we are pro-Israel, pro-Israel’s right to exist, pro-Israel’s right to defend itself and self-determination. But we haven’t been saying the same thing about Palestinians. And so, what I’ve been trying to communicate…Israel’s safety and security [are] directly connected to Palestinian freedom, safety, and security. So, we’ve been using a lot of rhetoric around the two-state solution for decades. And when I went there, I saw that we are nowhere near a two-state solution. Myself, as a sitting member of Congress, could not walk through certain checkpoints in the West Bank because I wasn’t Jewish. So, we’re using rhetoric, but our policies aren’t matching the rhetoric and our policies aren’t matching the urgency of the moment. October 7 was a horrible day, a horrific day and Hamas must be condemned and we must get the hostages back, absolutely. But condemnation is only step one. How are we going to do the work to actually get to a state for Palestinians?”

Later he added, “[E]ven before I went to the West Bank…I spoke to Israeli and Palestinian scholars over the phone just to learn more about it. And one of them — I forget his name — told me that we’re at the Civil Rights Era moment here in the West Bank. This is like Jim Crow. And when I heard Ta-Nehisi Coates say that, I felt what he was saying, because although I didn’t live during the Jim Crow South, I read about it. And when I went there, it felt that way. It felt suffocating, it felt stifling, it felt immobile. And again, for me, as a sitting member of Congress, who has voted in support of the Iron Dome…I felt what he was talking about there.”

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2023/11/21/bowman-west-bank-is-like-jim-crow-south-and-israel-wont-have-security-without-palestinian-freedom/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
From the same show

Bowman: Biden’s One-Sided Because He Won’t Call for Ceasefire Without Hostage Releases Like I Did

On Tuesday’s broadcast of MSNBC’s “Alex Wagner Tonight,” Rep. Jamaal Bowman (D-NY) argued that President Joe Biden has been one-sided on the Israel-Hamas conflict because he hasn’t called for a ceasefire without any hostage releases as a precondition like Bowman has.

Bowman stated that Biden improving his standing with young voters is “going to be tough, and it is tough, because young voters were already upset over a variety of things, including how he’s handled the climate issue. He’s done some good things, and he’s kind of playing a yo-yo with them, he’s done some good things and they come in, and then he does something else that pushes them away. And the response to the Israel-Gaza conflict, again, the one-sidedness of it has really turned young people away and the BIPOC community away as well. And so — and it’s not just the President, it’s Congress, for the most part, I’m in a small minority calling for a ceasefire. It’s growing a little bit, it started as like six or eight, but now it’s up to 30, which is really good, but the President hasn’t done that. And young people, they want peace. They want justice. They want a diplomatic response to what’s going on. They want us to spend more money on education and jobs and climate and keeping people out of prison and health care than we spend on war. And this President, at the moment, is not showing the capacity to do that, and the party, and the Congress — not just the party, all of Congress — isn’t showing the capacity to do that. And so, I think it’s a combination of all these things that’s turning young people off.”

He continued, “And people of color have been turned off for a while because of lack of comprehensive immigration reform, if you’re talking about the Latino community, and no conversation at all about reparations, if you’re talking about the black community. But we’re…spending hundreds of billions of dollars every year on weapons and war, but we can’t even have a conversation about reparations? Those are the things that are happening right now.”

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2023/11/21/bowman-bidens-one-sided-because-he-wont-call-for-ceasefire-without-hostage-releases-like-i-did/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Jamal Bowman (who wasn't in either):
"West Bank Is Like Jim Crow South"

I did live in "the Jim Crow South" (1960-61).
To be honest, it was just fine with me.
In fact, I'd like to see it brought back into force.

Sorry if you don't like this post.
As the song goes:
"I won't be 'reconstructed', and I do not give a damn..."
« Last Edit: November 22, 2023, 11:29:33 pm by Fishrrman »

Online Hoodat

Bowman: West Bank Is Like Jim Crow South

The West Bank is run by Democrats?  Who knew?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-