Author Topic: Upgraded F-35s fly with partial software as DOD hunts for delivery fix  (Read 168 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Upgraded F-35s fly with partial software as DOD hunts for delivery fix
By Stephen Losey
 Nov 21, 03:36 PM

15, 2023. The first production F-35 with an early version of the Technology Refresh 3 software flew at Lockheed Martin's factory in Fort Worth, Texas, last week. (Staff Sgt. Kaitlyn Ergish/Air Force)
WASHINGTON — The first production F-35 Joint Strike Fighter with an early, incomplete version of the software powering a key upgrade was flown last week at Lockheed Martin’s Fort Worth, Texas, facility, the company told Defense News.

The Pentagon’s F-35 Joint Program Office is considering whether a strategy of loading interim versions of the Technology Refresh 3 software into the latest F-35s might provide a way to end a months-long delivery halt, and allow the government to start accepting the latest versions of the fighter.

Technology Refresh 3, or TR-3, is the name for a batch of hardware and software upgrades to the newest F-35s, and include better displays, computer memory and processing power. The TR-3 upgrades are necessary to pave the way for a more expansive modernization, known as Block 4, which will allow the F-35 to carry more long-range precision weapons and improve its electronic warfare capabilities and target recognition.

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2023/11/21/upgraded-f-35s-fly-with-partial-software-as-dod-hunts-for-delivery-fix/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Upgraded F-35s fly with partial software as DOD hunts for delivery fix
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2023, 03:55:35 pm »
Upgraded F-35s fly with partial software?

Isn't that an oxymoron? :shrug:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson