Author Topic: Anti-Fracking ‘Gasland’ Predictions Fail To Come True Nearly 14 Years After Film’s Release  (Read 404 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
WRITTEN BY KEVIN KILLOUGH ON NOV 20, 2023. POSTED IN LATEST NEWS, VIDEOS

Anti-Fracking ‘Gasland’ Predictions Fail To Come True Nearly 14 Years After Film’s Release

The Oscar-nominated and Emmy-winning documentary Gasland is often credited with spawning the movement to oppose fracking.

The 2010 documentary, which was written and directed by Josh Fox, portrayed fracking operations as poisoning groundwater, killing wildlife, and making people sick, while corrupt oil companies profited. [emphasis, links added]

It predicted that if the practice wasn’t banned, communities’ water supplies would become undrinkable and wildlife populations could be decimated.

Nearly 14 years after “Gasland” was released, numerous studies have contradicted its claims about fracking, and its dire predictions didn’t come to pass. …

The documentary energized the environmentalist opposition to the industry and led to bans in some states, including New York, the practice grew exponentially in many states, including Colorado, Wyoming, Pennsylvania, and North Dakota.

https://climatechangedispatch.com/anti-fracking-gasland-predictions-fail-to-come-true-nearly-14-years-after-films-release/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
We knew it was bull. Simple as that.

A great deal was made of supposedly frac contamination at Pavillion, Wyoming. Pavillion, WY, sits on top of a butte, has a perched water table beneath it, and what goes in it from the surface stays there, unless someone pumps it out. What's in there did not come from fraccing, or there would be no seal beneath the aquifer layer, and that water would simply drain away to a deeper layer.

I knew a guy in West Virginia who had rebuilt his spring house so many times that in frustration he built it out of railroad ties, earth bermed in, with a two part roof on hinges. When the relay on the pressure switch sparked from his pump kicking in (to pump the water to the house), occasionally it would ignite an explosive methane mixture in the spring house and blow the roof open. Now he could just go out and close the roof, instead of rebuilding the whole thing, as he had in the past.
Had that same water been piped in from a well in the same aquifer, chances he could light his faucet were extremely good, but all this antedated horizontal drilling and fraccing horizontal wells. (I honestly believe he would have found a way to separate the gas, pressurize it in the headspace on a pressure tank, and run the 5 +/- psi feed to the house for cooking or to his shop for heat or something had the water come from a well.)

That, and after decades in the oil industry, I knew there was just no way an undamaged properly constructed well would leak natural gas into a near surface aquifer. Two casing strings, minimum, and the cement that held them in place would have to lose integrity and leak into the near surface aquifer. Those casing bonds are checked with a wireline tool that essentially does an ultrasound of that casing and the cement around it to find any flaws, flaws which can be fixed before the well ever goes into production should they exist.

For those who howl about "greedy oil companies", leaking casing downhole would mean a loss of their product, and a loss of revenue, not to mention additional costs to fix things and clean up. The balance sheet just does not work: it is far, far cheaper to just do things right.

Knowing the movie was a gross distortion of the industry that fuels America is little consolation for the raving of ill informed people who affect the actions of uninformed politicians. But that is what it is. It's good to see some pushback finally get past the censors.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Are toxic chemicals leeching into soil from wind blades and solar panels at waste facilities?

The anti-fracking hysteria benefits OPEC and America's enemies.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
I remember the interview that documentary (Anti-anti Fracking) that tore a hole in the folks that wanted a big lawsuit settlement against the oil company. I think it is up on YouTube now.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....