Author Topic: Nikki Haley walks back her demand that social media ban anonymous posters after facing GOP backlash  (Read 1325 times)

Offline libertybele

Not a good sign; a little heat and she backpedals.  Sound familiar?

Nikki Haley walks back her demand that social media ban anonymous posters after facing GOP backlash

Nikki Haley on Wednesday partially walked back her proposed requirement that social media companies ban people from posting anonymously online for national security reasons, a stance for which she drew backlash across conservative social media and some of her GOP presidential rivals.

The former United Nations ambassador’s comments Tuesday to Fox News were quickly spread by the campaign of Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis. Both Haley and DeSantis are trying to resonate with GOP constituencies including parents worried for their children’s online safety as well as voters fearful of China’s influence in U.S. affairs. As they try to battle for a distant second place behind former President Donald Trump, Haley and DeSantis have accused each other of being weak on China in particular.

“Every person on social media should be verified by their name. It’s a national security threat,” Haley, a former South Carolina governor and U.N. ambassador, said Tuesday on Fox News. “When you do that, all of a sudden people have to stand by what they say and it gets rid of the Russian bots, the Iranian bots and the Chinese bots.”

Saying that she fears that social media anonymity could translate into misinformation, Haley said “you’re going to get some civility when people know their name is next to what they say.”..................

https://apnews.com/article/nikki-haley-anonymous-social-media-online-8fa8bfd5d9022f3fa2d06b8f474587d6
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
lol....  Am I am the only one who is thinking that this lady is about 10% as smart as she thinks she is.   :silly:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
lol....  Am I am the only one who is thinking that this lady is about 10% as smart as she thinks she is.   :silly:

And to think she was Secretary of State!!

But then...so was Hillary Clinton. [barf]
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
And to think she was Secretary of State!!

She wasn't.  She was U.N. Ambassador, appointed by some orange-faced guy from Queens.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

She is a pandering moderate conservative, meaning she is completely unreliable on virtually any issue.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
She wasn't.  She was U.N. Ambassador, appointed by some orange-faced guy from Queens.

My bad!  ...senior moment...phartz... :patriot:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Regardless of what position(s) she held in the past, even proposing such is another deal-breaker for me. Not only did she display a profound lack or knowledge of the more seminal documents, an entire discussion of the Constitution in its formative stages, (which implies a lack of understanding of Original Intent), but in this day and age when even SCOTUS justices can be harassed by mobs of ill intent, there would be no protection for those who would be forced to doxx themselves or their families.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

She's the 'Jeb!'.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I was excited about her (not like that haha). I saw polls with her beating Biden by double digits, which I've never seen before (not sure Reagan or Nixon even got those numbers). But she looks like a wishy washy politician with this stuff and they made this mess didn't they?

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I was excited about her (not like that haha). I saw polls with her beating Biden by double digits, which I've never seen before (not sure Reagan or Nixon even got those numbers). But she looks like a wishy washy politician with this stuff and they made this mess didn't they?
I respect your opinion of her, but her deep and long history of pandering to woke factions should alarm any conservative.  She was woke, before it became fashionable.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online cato potatoe

She's the 'Jeb!'.

Without the disarming personality of the Bushes.  Nikki unfortunately has made it tough to vote for her, should she achieve the nomination.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
Without the disarming personality of the Bushes.  Nikki unfortunately has made it tough to vote for her, should she achieve the nomination.

If Vivek did one point of community serrvice, he un-masked the sham that this lady is.  She came totally unglued at the last debate.  . 

Presidential?  Hell no.  I wouldn't even trust her running a non-profit.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Catfish snorts:
"Presidential?  Hell no.  I wouldn't even trust her running a non-profit."

Agreed.
If she were the candidate, I'd leave that part of the ballot blank.
No, no, no, Nikki ... NO !!

Offline LMAO

Catfish snorts:
"Presidential?  Hell no.  I wouldn't even trust her running a non-profit."

Agreed.
If she were the candidate, I'd leave that part of the ballot blank.
No, no, no, Nikki ... NO !!

Same here
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I respect your opinion of her, but her deep and long history of pandering to woke factions should alarm any conservative.  She was woke, before it became fashionable.

I'm going to guess you're talking about the flag thing? I mean, i wasn't happy either, but any port in a storm these days. But with this other thing, she kinda cancelled herself.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
I'm going to guess you're talking about the flag thing? I mean, i wasn't happy either, but any port in a storm these days. But with this other thing, she kinda cancelled herself.

I agree.  The flag issue is obviously an emotional one for me, but outting any and all on-line identification might end up being the biggest first amendment degredation we'd see in serveral lifetimes. Her actions would basically negate any political discource oor dissension.

Online mountaineer

How Republicans win
It’s the economy, stupid, and the stupid immigration policy.
Nov 24, 2023
Don Surber
Nikki Haley shot herself in her 3-inch heels by calling for the doxxing of pseudonymous posters on Internet sites. She said, “Every person on social media should be verified, by their name. That’s, first of all, it’s a national security threat.”

Jack Shafer summed up her obvious mistake: The idea stinks. ...

Madame Haley went astray of the two issues that should sweep Republicans back into the White House with dominant majorities in Congress. It’s the economy, stupid, and stupid immigration policy.   ...

So why is Haley calling for the USA to import another round of Palestinians?

Fwee-dom, as Kamala would say.

Haley said, “They want to be free from all of that. And America has always been sympathetic to the fact that you can separate civilians from terrorists, and that's what we have to do. But right now, we can never take our eyes off of the terrorists.”

They only want to be free of Israelis from the river to the sea.  ...
Read entire piece at Don Surber's Substack
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
C'mon, Comrade Briefers, tell me.
Tell me right to my face.

Is Nikki Haley gonna be a stronger candidate for the presidency than Mr. Trump?

(like that guy in the pic... I'm waiting...)

Online Maj. Bill Martin

C'mon, Comrade Briefers, tell me.
Tell me right to my face.

Is Nikki Haley gonna be a stronger candidate for the presidency than Mr. Trump?

(like that guy in the pic... I'm waiting...)
Yes.  I don't like her, but yes.

Offline LMAO

When I see anyone running from office "walk back" anything, the question that pops in my head is are they "walking back" because they truly had a change of heart or is the "walking back" simply because they let their true positions and plans slip out?

With Haley, I suspect the latter is true
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
When I see anyone running from office "walk back" anything, the question that pops in my head is are they "walking back" because they truly had a change of heart or is the "walking back" simply because they let their true positions and plans slip out?

Her inner totalitarian has been exposed (not to mention her lack of knowledge of the history of the Republic).

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

She went there. End of story.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 01:57:28 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Maj. Bill Martin

I think it's because she's a natural panderer, and says whatever is convenient in the moment without thinking it through to it's full implications.

So, I believe she meant it when she said it, but didn't think it through.  So when people pointed out what it means if take. Literally, she has to reverse course.

I prefer my politicians to think through unintended consequences before speaking or acting.  She and Trump have it in common that they don't.