Author Topic: How the US strikes a balance in responding to attacks on its forces  (Read 162 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
How the US strikes a balance in responding to attacks on its forces
By Lolita C. Baldor, The Associated Press
 Nov 19, 09:53 AM

WASHINGTON — Iranian-backed militants in Iraq and Syria have long battled with U.S. and coalition forces, launching sporadic attacks against bases in the region where troops are deployed to fight Islamic State group insurgents.

But since Oct. 17, as civilian deaths in Israel’s war against Hamas began to skyrocket, there has been a dramatic spike in attacks by Iran’s proxies, operating under the umbrella name of the Islamic Resistance in Iraq.

While most of the more than five dozen attacks have been largely ineffective, at least 60 U.S. personnel have reported minor injuries. Most often those have been traumatic brain injuries from the explosions, and all troops have returned to duty, according to the Pentagon.

In response to the attacks, the U.S. has walked a delicate line. The U.S. military has struck back just three times as the Biden administration balances efforts to deter the militants without triggering a broader Middle East conflict.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2023/11/19/how-the-us-strikes-a-balance-in-responding-to-attacks-on-its-forces/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: How the US strikes a balance in responding to attacks on its forces
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2023, 05:04:14 pm »
  strikes a balance 

Is that an intentional pun? :shrug:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson