Author Topic: Third suicide by Kitsap-based Navy sailor in 2023 part of rising number in service  (Read 141 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Third suicide by Kitsap-based Navy sailor in 2023 part of rising number in service
Story by Peiyu Lin, Kitsap Sun  •
2w

A sailor assigned to the USS Nimitz aircraft carrier died by suicide on October 22, the third confirmed suicide by an active duty military member in Kitsap County this year and one of a recent increase in that branch of the service.

The Navy confirmed the identity of the sailor and Kitsap County Medical Examiner's Office confirmed that the death was a suicide, agencies told the Kitsap Sun this week. The sailor, an airman stationed on the carrier, was found deceased at his off-base residence, according to a USS Nimitz official. The Naval Criminal Investigative Service is conducting a thorough investigation into his death, NCIS spokesperson Jeff Houston said.

Chaplains, psychologists, counselors, and leaders are engaged with the ship crew and are available on board to provide appropriate support and counseling, the Nimitz official said. "We are here to support our shipmates and we encourage any sailor who is struggling to seek help and support."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/third-suicide-by-kitsap-based-navy-sailor-in-2023-part-of-rising-number-in-service/ar-AA1jmtVw

The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson