Author Topic: Tax-Free Pay, 2-Year Leave of Absence for Parents Among Ideas Being Floated by House's Military Qual  (Read 154 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Tax-Free Pay, 2-Year Leave of Absence for Parents Among Ideas Being Floated by House's Military Quality-of-Life Panel
Rebecca Kheel
Thu, November 16, 2023 at 3:22 PM EST·4 min read

Tax-exempt pay. Extended leaves of absence for parenthood. Fewer permanent change of station moves.

Those are some of the "outside the box" ideas the leaders of the House Armed Services Committee's military quality-of-life panel said they are mulling as they barrel toward an early 2024 goal of providing recommendations to improve service members' pay, child care, housing and other issues key to people's decision to join or stay in the military.

"You're competing with the civilian economy that has also figured out that the youngest generation wants very much to feel a purpose and sense of community, and they've met them where they are," Rep. Chrissy Houlahan, D-Pa., the ranking member of the quality-of-life panel, said at a Wednesday night event hosted by With Honor, a political action committee that supports veterans running for office.

"Those kids are going into those job opportunities without the obligation of PCSing every couple of years, without the obligation of living in dorms that are substandard, with pay that is significantly more in most cases than what they're going to be earning," she added.

https://news.yahoo.com/tax-free-pay-2-leave-202204247.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
They should also consider free toilet paper, tampons, dish soap, laundry soap, car washes, diapers, day care, doggie day care, free airline transportation, free food, and anything else that someone can think of. :headbang:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson