Author Topic: Amid Many Crises, Don’t Neglect the War for Technology  (Read 152 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Amid Many Crises, Don’t Neglect the War for Technology
« on: November 19, 2023, 04:29:47 pm »
Amid Many Crises, Don’t Neglect the War for Technology
Published 11/18/23 08:00 AM ET|Updated 19 hr ago
Sarah Sewall and Steve Bowsher

The current confluence of wars and geopolitical tension is acute, but it cannot distract the United States from the ongoing war in technology innovation. Jostling to lead transformative, over-the-horizon technologies is the geopolitical battle of the century. U.S. policymakers and private sector leaders face an uphill climb if they want the United States to win.

This competition may well determine whether democracies or authoritarian governments lead the global system.

The United States should never mimic the Chinese Communist Party’s centralized market, which often directs and funds nominally private entities. An effective U.S. government role in promoting innovation can only be limited in scope while strategic in purpose — and targeted toward the most transformative technologies.

Yet, our policymakers have, so far, failed to offer a national vision for how to sustain U.S. technology leadership.

https://themessenger.com/opinion/dont-neglect-war-for-technology-amid-crises-government-investment-subsidy
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson