Author Topic: Racist birds!? CNN: Nearly 80 bird species names with racist roots are about to be changed  (Read 363 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Racist birds!? CNN: Nearly 80 bird species names with racist roots are about to be changed
By Marc Morano
November 8, 2023
5:11 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/02/us/bird-species-names-changing-scn-cec/index.html

CNN —
After years-long discussion, birds will no longer be named after people — a decision meant to dissociate the animals from problematic eponyms.

The American Ornithological Society announced Wednesday that all common English-language names of bird species named after people will be changed, along with other monikers that have been deemed offensive. In total, approximately 70-80 birds — primarily in the US and Canada — will be renamed.

“There is power in a name, and some English bird names have associations with the past that continue to be exclusionary and harmful today,” said Colleen Handel, president of the AOS, in a statement.

Many birds sport names that come from White men with “objectively horrible pasts,” according to the group Bird Names for Birds, a grassroots initiative that has been advocating for this change. Having their names memorialized in this manner is similar to building a statue in their honor, the group argues.

https://www.climatedepot.com/2023/11/08/racist-bird-names-cnn-nearly-80-bird-species-names-with-racist-roots-are-about-to-be-changed/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
I propose changing the name of all species of Loons to the "American Ornithologist Society"
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
I am so tired of this racist nonsense.  Most species are named after the person that first found the species.  I don't care what their beliefs were.  Literally.

Take George Washington.  He was a slave owner, Thomas Jefferson too.  These are just two notable Americans that supported slavery in their lifetime.  Are we to undo everything they accomplished for this country because they owned slaves?  This is idiocy, and one more example of what black culture in America has brought us. 

Destruction of our republic, destruction of our heritage, destruction of everything, and now, including bird names.  Does this benefit the people of America?  I say not.  All this horsesh*t is pure idiocy.

Online roamer_1

don't mess with the tits and boobies... half my shtick will pass away.  :cool:

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Keep a few old "bird books" around so you'll have proof of their REAL names after the commies try to erase and re-write this particular corner of ornithology.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I am so tired of this racist nonsense.  Most species are named after the person that first found the species.  I don't care what their beliefs were.  Literally.

Destruction of our republic, destruction of our heritage, destruction of everything, and now, including bird names.  Does this benefit the people of America?  I say not.  All this horsesh*t is pure idiocy.
The emboldened statement is true, for not only living species, but fossil ones. And does it matter what they believed otherwise? Don't denigrate their accomplishments because you don't like other aspects of their lives, or their skin color, or beliefs. They did what they did and should get credit where credit is due.
As for the rest of your comment, I agree wholeheartedly.   Rather than disrupt binomial nomenclature (which has been going on a long time), how about keeping racist fingers off what actually is established science?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis