Author Topic: Report finds reason for accidents aboard Naval ships  (Read 157 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Report finds reason for accidents aboard Naval ships
« on: November 18, 2023, 05:28:28 pm »
Report finds reason for accidents aboard Naval ships
November 15, 2023

Gary Robbins
The San Diego Union-Tribune
(TNS)

The Navy has failed to erase the sleep deprivation problems that have been contributing to deadly and expensive accidents aboard American warships, according to a report by the General Accounting Office, the investigative arm of Congress.

The study, which includes concerns about the dozens Pacific fleet ships operating out of San Diego, said surface forces average only 5.25 hours of sleep per day. They’re supposed to get 7.5 hours. The figures were obtained from the Navy.

The GAO noted that it reported two years ago that the Navy wasn’t assigning enough crew members to some ships, causing some sailors to work longer hours. That problem was found still to exist this year.

“Personnel shortfalls will likely continue to be a leading factor causing inadequate sleep and sailor fatigue,” said the GAO, which also praised the Navy for taking the problem seriously.

https://popularmilitary.com/report-finds-reason-for-accidents-aboard-naval-ships/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Report finds reason for accidents aboard Naval ships
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2023, 05:30:41 pm »
I guess that means we weren't afflicted by sleep deprivation during Viet Nam since no one bothered to tell us. :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson