Author Topic: Mike Johnson didn’t avert the shutdown — he accelerated it  (Read 390 times)

Offline libertybele

Mike Johnson didn’t avert the shutdown — he accelerated it
« on: November 17, 2023, 06:42:47 pm »
I was hopeful, but was also surprised that he was voted in unanimously. Now it looks like the surprise is on us, once again.

Mike Johnson didn’t avert the shutdown — he accelerated it

House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) said earlier this week that we “must prevent” a government shutdown because “that would do even more harm to our economy.” And with that, Johnson consigned Americans to the ultimate government shutdown of debt, inflation, and insolvency.

Johnson is planning to give Democrats everything they want with nothing in return. No spending cuts. No action on the border. Not even a real debate over those things. Instead, he is pushing for ... a debt commission.

Why are our leaders so shortsighted?

Here is what’s happening. Since Republican leaders agreed to raise the debt ceiling in June, the national debt has increased $2.3 trillion. In just that six-month period, the debt accumulation rivals the pace of debt accrued during the COVID shutdown in 2020. The difference, of course, is that official unemployment today is below 4%.

With interest rates skyrocketing as the Treasury seeks to incentivize buyers to purchase federal bonds, the United States has entered a vicious cycle of higher interest rates on ever-increasing debt. Interest on debt has now permanently surpassed the cost of our gargantuan military and is rivaling the cost of Medicare.

It’s game over. This is the meaning of the ultimate shutdown.

It's not just the $2 trillion annual deficits we are facing over the next year and every year thereafter. In the next 12 months, $8.2 trillion of existing government debt will be maturing. That $8.2 trillion should be accounted for as new debt because it will need to be serviced at substantially higher rates than when it was first accrued. The only thing that has been holding this Ponzi scheme together has been the ability of the Federal Reserve to turn a profit for the Treasury by earning money on bonds through reverse repurchase agreements. But with interest rates so high, the Fed is losing $700 million a day with operating losses topping $100 billion over the past year. .....................

https://www.theblaze.com/columns/opinion/mike-johnson-didnt-avert-the-shutdown-he-accelerated-it
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: Mike Johnson didn’t avert the shutdown — he accelerated it
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2023, 06:53:10 pm »
Why would this time be different?

Doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results, is insanity.

Punt on the remaining FY 2024 Budget.  See if you can negotiate some token savings.

Get to work on the 2025 FY Budget you want ... not the FY 2025 Budget foisted upon us my a never ending merry-go-round of crisis.

Deliver the FY 2025 Budget of your choosing unto the US Senate well before Sept. 30, 2024, and refuse Budget Reconciliation.  Make the US Senate take an up or down vote on the FY 2025 Budget, with no prospect of "Budget Reconciliation".
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2023, 07:01:54 pm »
It's not just the $2 trillion annual deficits we are facing over the next year and every year thereafter. In the next 12 months, $8.2 trillion of existing government debt will be maturing. That $8.2 trillion should be accounted for as new debt because it will need to be serviced at substantially higher rates than when it was first accrued. The only thing that has been holding this Ponzi scheme together has been the ability of the Federal Reserve to turn a profit for the Treasury by earning money on bonds through reverse repurchase agreements. But with interest rates so high, the Fed is losing $700 million a day with operating losses topping $100 billion over the past year.

There's the money paragraph I was looking for, pun intended. Wondered where the other shoe was.
The Republic is lost.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2023, 08:33:35 pm »
It's not just the $2 trillion annual deficits we are facing over the next year and every year thereafter. In the next 12 months, $8.2 trillion of existing government debt will be maturing. That $8.2 trillion should be accounted for as new debt because it will need to be serviced at substantially higher rates than when it was first accrued. The only thing that has been holding this Ponzi scheme together has been the ability of the Federal Reserve to turn a profit for the Treasury by earning money on bonds through reverse repurchase agreements. But with interest rates so high, the Fed is losing $700 million a day with operating losses topping $100 billion over the past year.
:bingo:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2023, 09:36:00 pm »
Why would this time be different?

Doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results, is insanity.

Punt on the remaining FY 2024 Budget.  See if you can negotiate some token savings.

Get to work on the 2025 FY Budget you want ... not the FY 2025 Budget foisted upon us my a never ending merry-go-round of crisis.

Deliver the FY 2025 Budget of your choosing unto the US Senate well before Sept. 30, 2024, and refuse Budget Reconciliation.  Make the US Senate take an up or down vote on the FY 2025 Budget, with no prospect of "Budget Reconciliation".

You're thinking practically and strategically. Just stop.  It's more important to vent our frustrations and insist on courses of action that are impossible given whom voters have chosen to put in Congress, and the presidency.

I still think the oddest thing about the complaints that Congress isn't doing its job is that a majority of Republicans apparently are supporting for president a guy who has zero interest in controlling the deficit.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2023, 09:38:39 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline berdie

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2023, 11:59:32 pm »
I'm curious what deal was offered to Johnson to take this thankless position.