Author Topic: The Way Ahead for Western Fighters  (Read 130 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Way Ahead for Western Fighters
« on: November 17, 2023, 03:27:43 pm »
The Way Ahead for Western Fighters
11/15/2023

By Robbin Laird

I have attended the International Fighter Conference in the past but missed this year’s offering. This year’s conference was held in Madrid, and I was interested in what was discussed at the conference as I am focused on the way ahead for Western air combat forces in the decade ahead.

First, I scanned recently press reports on the conference and really found two news threads. The first involved the Swedes and the fact that they had dropped out of the British led Tempest program and were now looking at their own requirements for their next combat jet. I am deliberately not using the characterization of next generation fighter for they may not indeed do such as my own view is that the air combat domain is changing way beyond consideration of a next generation fighter.

Gareth Jennings reported that Sweden had dropped out of the British led program.

“Speaking at the IQPC International Fighter Conference (IFC) 2023 under the Chatham House Rule, an official said that the national work followed the official termination of the country’s participation in the UK-led Future Combat Air System (FCAS) in 2022.

https://sldinfo.com/2023/11/the-way-ahead-for-western-fighters/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson