Author Topic: House conservatives tank progress on appropriations bill after Johnson advances clean CR  (Read 1017 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
House conservatives tank progress on appropriations bill after Johnson advances clean CR
by Reese Gorman, Congressional Reporter & Cami Mondeaux, Congressional Reporter
November 15, 2023 11:15 AM

Hard-line House conservatives tanked progress on Republicans' spending plans on Wednesday in an act of retribution toward Speaker Mike Johnson (R-LA) after lawmakers advanced a clean continuing resolution under suspended rules the day before.

Advancement of the Commerce, Justice, and Science Appropriations bill was halted after 19 Republicans voted with all Democrats to oppose the rule, a procedural motion to begin consideration of the legislation, leaving the House unable to consider the must-pass appropriations bill as well as a vote on an Iranian sanction legislation. The failed vote dealt a blow to Johnson's initial plan to advance at least two appropriations bills this week, prompting the speaker to cancel votes for the rest of the week and send lawmakers home until Nov. 28.

This is the fourth rule to fail this Congress. Prior to this year, a rule hadn’t failed in over two decades.

Leading the charge was Rep. Chip Roy (R-TX), who was upset after Johnson’s decision to pass a stopgap funding measure with no spending cuts or conservative policy riders attached under suspension of the rules. Johnson was seen talking to Roy and several other conservatives on the floor ahead of the vote, such as Reps. Tim Burchett (R-TN), Lauren Boebert (R-CO), and Ralph Norman (R-SC), who all voted against the rule.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/house/house-conservatives-tank-progress-appropriations-after-clean-cr
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline bilo

Hard-line House conservatives tanked progress on Republicans' spending plans on Wednesday in an act of retribution toward Speaker Mike Johnson (R-LA) after lawmakers advanced a clean continuing resolution under suspended rules the day before.

Good, I hope they keep sending the message that we need real cuts in spending. The Establishment Loyalists have pushed the CR dance into an election year promising real conservative victories. I don't believe it will happen. Speaker Johnson had his moment and failed.

Now the question is even with a Trump victory will the Republic be able to stop the looming financial crisis. If not what will our country become.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Two cents from the peanut gallery ...

The fiscal conservatives are chasing a train that has already left the station.

The primary legislative agenda needs to be a FY25 budget.

Pass Ukraine Aid, Israel Aid, and a Continuing Resolution with a 1% reduction in spending that's good through Sept. 30, 2024 (end of Federal Fiscal Year 2024).  This provides runway to take a hatchet to the FY 2025 budget (2025 fiscal year starts Oct 1, 2024).  Bouncing from crisis to crisis every few weeks does not provide enough runway to execute a sane and thorough fiscal appropriation process.  If the Debt Ceiling needs to be raised, do that through Sept. 30, 2024.

The House GOP needs the time and runway to execute the appropriations process they want, and the Dems don't.

Dems prefer to keep Government in perpetual state of fiscal crisis because that advantages their never-ending requests for "emergency" supplemental spending.

Take control of a working budget process; don't be controlled by a broken one.

My first suggestions for budget cuts are old-time classics:

- Department of Education
- Corporation for Public Broadcasting
- National Endowment for the Arts

Not the biggest bites out of the Budget, but progress needs to start somewhere, anywhere, if we are to escape the current fiscal insanity.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline bilo

Pass Ukraine Aid, Israel Aid, and a Continuing Resolution with a 1% reduction in spending that's good through Sept. 30, 2024 (end of Federal Fiscal Year 2024).  This provides runway to take a hatchet to the FY 2025 budget (2025 fiscal year starts Oct 1, 2024).  Bouncing from crisis to crisis every few weeks does not provide enough runway to execute a sane and thorough fiscal appropriation process.  If the Debt Ceiling needs to be raised, do that through Sept. 30, 2024.

The House GOP needs the time and runway to execute the appropriations process they want, and the Dems don't.

Dems prefer to keep Government in perpetual state of fiscal crisis because that advantages their never-ending requests for "emergency" supplemental spending.

Not the biggest bites out of the Budget, but progress needs to start somewhere, anywhere, if we are to escape the current fiscal insanity.

All good points, but fighting for a return to a process of passing 12 appropriation bills is exactly what the Patriots are fighting for. The problem is the Establishment Loyalists in the Pub party keep under cutting the process and pushing CR's. The failure of Johnson is he doesn't recognize that pushing the 2024 budget process to Jan. 2024 puts it in an election year. If the Establishment Loyalists are cowards now just imagine how cowardly they will be in an election year.

The end of this fiscal crisis may well end up being not so dissimilar to what happened in Argentina.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

Sure! Because wait until next year has always worked so well for conservatives! Spit!  :3:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

I agree with most of what you posted, except Ukraine has received plenty of money; that running faucet needs to be turned off.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

The House is debating spending for Fiscal Year 2024, which started on Oct 1st.  The budget should have been completed before September 30.

It's already next year.

The GOP has the House Majority unitl at least January, 2025.  They are dying for a hill they've already lost - 2024 FY Budget.

The GOP House is in this mess because they made they mistake of electing McCarthy as House Speaker.  He dillied, he dallied, he wasted precious time accomplishing nothing.

Think in terms of the Battle of Dunkirk.  It's strategically more advantageous to save your army to fight another day, than, to loose them all fighting a battle that's already lost.

Cut losses for FY 2024.  Save the caucus majority to fight for FY 2025 Budget cuts.  Prove to the American people that the GOP is capable of Governing.

The Dems want the House GOP to be fighting amongst themselves through the 2024 election cycle.  Start passing / accomplishing legislation for FY 2025 / calendar year 2024.  GOP needs to start calendar 2024 with some legislative wins, and continue that winning streak through the Spring and the Summer.

GOP House needs to have FY 2025 Budget done well in advance of September 30th so incumbent House Members can return to their districts in October/November to campaign with favorable winds at their back.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 09:07:18 pm by DefiantMassRINO »

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

Inarguably true.

The fiscal conservatives are a minority, which means they have to think strategically and work with others who are less conservative to get the best legislation possible, even if it isn't ideal.

Unfortunately, they are unwilling to do that.

Offline roamer_1

Inarguably true.

The fiscal conservatives are a minority, which means they have to think strategically and work with others who are less conservative to get the best legislation possible, even if it isn't ideal.

One can argue that sort of strategy is what has brought us here today.

They have successfully overturned the leadership, which no one thought could happen...
Seems a shame that it would become meaningless with things easing right back into business as usual.

Offline libertybele

They have successfully overturned the leadership, which no one thought could happen...
Seems a shame that it would become meaningless with things easing right back into business as usual.

Unfortunately that's exactly what appears to be happening.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline berdie

Inarguably true.

That seems to be the case. I don't necessarily like it, but it is what it is.

Until this country becomes more conservative (fat chance) and votes in more conservative reps and the Pubs gain a larger majority there will be no other answer. When in the minority it requires a bit of finesse to obtain even minor victories.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Inarguably true.

No strategy is going to get the budget back into balance. We've lost.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline bilo

No strategy is going to get the budget back into balance. We've lost.

If you're right, the only other thing that America First Patriots can do is push for a national divorce. The Republic will collapse because of the debt. We are paying in excess of 1 TRILLION dollars a year interest and the amount will go up even if interest rates go down. Moody's has reduced it's ratings on the US bonds. The last 30 year auction on bonds last Thursday was the worst in history between the first offer and last offer. Our economy will collapse if the Bonds sold by the govt become worthless.

Anyone with eyes can see the crisis coming. When everything collapses the govt will restructure the society to its benefit and instead of being citizens we will become serfs serving our new master.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Fiscal Year 2025 is a new opportunity to inject sanity in Federal fiscal policy.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

It was always going to be meaningless because the direction of the House is determined by the voting preferences of its members, not the Speaker.  It's like someone got their house painted and expected the rooms to be different sizes.

If you want a more conservative House, elect more conservatives.  Changing Speakers doesn't do jack because the new Speaker is constrained by the exact same forces as the old one.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 04:36:57 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Oh, Hell! Just get it over with and kick the can don the road, again. Or off the cliff (where the road ends).

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

It was always going to be meaningless because the direction of the House is determined by the voting preferences of its members, not the Speaker.  It's like someone got their house painted and expected the rooms to be different sizes.

If you want a more conservative House, elect more conservatives.  Changing Speakers doesn't do jack because the new Speaker is constrained by the exact same forces as the old one.

That is not true, or at least, not entirely true.

They're all conservatives on the stump.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

That is not true, or at least, not entirely true.

They're all conservatives on the stump.

That's not true of a lot of the swing districts types. They are who they are and don't hide it.

There also are quite a few who will vote conservative under certain circumstances. Essentially, they are perfectly willing to go along with conservative legislation as long as it looks to them like it has a good chance of passing. What they are unwilling to do, and what the hardliners often want to do, are things like shutdowns, or taking hardline positions on principle where they know they will probably lose but want to make a statement.

It's worth noting that the moderates agreed to the compromise Chip Roy crafted that had 8% cuts across the board.  That was a conservative bill in terms of its impact on the deficit.  Unfortunately, it was the conservatives who sank that bill in favor of an alternative that didn't exist then, still doesn't exist, and almost certainly won't exist for this fiscal year.

So, a lot of the RINOs will vote conservative.  They're just kind of moderate about it.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 12:26:47 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »