Author Topic: Absolute Nonsense: Obama Again Claims to be First Amendment Absolutist While Supporting Censorship  (Read 396 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Absolute Nonsense: Obama Again Claims to be First Amendment Absolutist While Supporting Censorship

In an interview with The Verge Editor-in-Chief Nilay Patel, former President Barack Obama once again claimed that he is virtually a “First Amendment absolutist” despite supporting censorship for years, including United Nations efforts to criminalize criticism of religion on a global scale.  There are aspects of the Obama terms that I have praised, but his record on free speech is not one of them.

Obama declared in the interview that “I’m close to a First Amendment absolutist in the sense that I generally don’t believe that even offensive speech, mean speech, etcetera, it should be certainly not regulated by the government.”

That is virtually identical to prior statements that “I’m pretty close to a First Amendment absolutist” as he was arguing for social media censorship. Notably, Obama avoids calling himself a “near free speech absolutist.” The distinction is key for Obama and others in supporting massive censorship while virtue signaling that they are tolerant of opposing views.

https://jonathanturley.org/2023/11/14/absolute-nonsense-obama-again-claims-to-be-first-amendment-absolutist-while-supporting-censorship/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline goatprairie

Obama is right that nobody has the right to say whatever they want in any situation. But the first amendment says that government can't take away your right to free speech....that leaves a lot of room for non-government entities to take away your right.
Of course, people always bring up the shouting fire in a crowded theater argument...unless there is an actual fire.
Nevertheless, many non-gov orgs. would dearly like to suppress speech they don't like whether it is dangerous or not. People's feelings might be harmed you know.  :whistle:

Offline Hoodat

But the first amendment says that government can't take away your right to free speech....

The First Amendment says that Congress can't take away your right to free speech.

Of course, people always bring up the shouting fire in a crowded theater argument...

Per the First Amendment, Congress cannot take away your right to shout 'FIRE!' in a crowded theater.  But the First Amendment doesn't apply to State and Local governments, which is why State and local governments decided to make it illegal to shout 'FIRE' in crowded theaters.

As for non-government entities, one always has the right to speak freely.  However, there may (and will be) consequences to exercising that freedom.  Want to cuss out your boss in front of all your peers?  Yes, you have the right to do that.  But your boss has the right to fire you for it.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-