Author Topic: DOJ asked court to hide surveillance of congressional investigators for five years, ex-aide says  (Read 264 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
DOJ asked court to hide surveillance of congressional investigators for five years, ex-aide says

Jason Foster says DOJ’s surveillance of Congress and its staff could have chilling effect on whistleblowers coming forward in future.

One of the Senate investigators whose personal phone and emails records were seized by the Justice Department as he was conducting congressional oversight of the agency tells Just the News he has confirmed that the government successfully asked a federal court to hide its spying on Congress for five consecutive years.

Jason Foster is now the head of the Empower Oversight whistleblower center. In 2017 at the time of the secret surveillance, he was the chief investigative counsel for Sen. Chuck Grassley on the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Foster on Tuesday told Just the News that lawyers for Google have now provided him documents showing that DOJ asked a federal magistrate for five consecutive years to delay notifying him that his data had been subpoenaed in an apparent federal leaks investigation.

The seizure of his personal data occurred in 2017 while he worked for the Senate, and ordinarily under the original court order, Foster would have been notified a year later. But because the DOJ sought court approval ex parte to keep its surveillance secret, he wasn’t alerted until earlier this fall, six years after the initial subpoena. Ex parte actions are motions, hearings or orders granted on the request of and for the benefit of one party only, without notice to the other party, in this case, Foster.

This is an exception to the basic rule of court procedure that both parties must be present at any argument before a judge.

At least a dozen Republican or Democrat members of Congress or their staff, including former House Intelligence Committee lawyer Kash Patel, also have been notified in recent months that DOJ spied on their activities...

Excerpt: Rest at above link (Many embedded links in story)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 02:56:59 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Just fire the bloody lot of them.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Someone in DOJ needs to be prosecuted and go to jail.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Obstruction and insurrection.
The Republic is lost.