Author Topic: Marines grapple with highest suicide rate of all US military services  (Read 316 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Marines grapple with highest suicide rate of all US military services
By Irene Loewenson
 Nov 13, 04:19 PM

The Marine Corps had the highest rate of suicide among all the U.S. military branches in 2022 ― a sobering statistic for a service that has stepped up efforts in recent years to prevent these tragedies.

The military has seen a gradual increase in suicide across the branches since 2011, the Defense Department’s annual report on suicide in the military found. In the Marine Corps’ active component, 34.9 out of 100,000 service members died by suicide in 2022, up from a rate of 23.9 in 2021 and higher than any other service.

The suicide rate per 100,000 service members was 28.9 in the Army, 20.6 in the Navy and 19.7 in the Air Force; no one died by suicide in the Space Force, according to the Pentagon’s data.

In total, 61 active duty Marines and six Marine reservists died by suicide in 2022.

“While statistics and numbers are important … when it’s your person, your loved one, that’s a statistic of one,” said Carla Stumpf Patton, senior director of suicide prevention and postvention programs at Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2023/11/13/marines-grapple-with-highest-suicide-rate-of-all-us-military-services/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Marines grapple with highest suicide rate of all US military services
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2023, 06:11:20 pm »
People who enter the Marine Corps are not the type of people who you will not find in a rally for wokeness.  I have to believe many of the Marine suicides are a result of how un-Marine the Corps has become and how woke it is.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Marines grapple with highest suicide rate of all US military services
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2023, 10:57:28 pm »
People who enter the Marine Corps are not the type of people who you will not find in a rally for wokeness.  I have to believe many of the Marine suicides are a result of how un-Marine the Corps has become and how woke it is.

@rangerrebew

I think you might be right about this. Never personally met a US Marine under 25 that wasn't so puffed up over himself with pride that I didn't worry about him exploding.

Pretty damn sharp cookies if you ever meet and talk with a USMC E-6 or higher "grunt",though. The "puffed up BS" is gone because they have actual experience and knowledge.

I suppose the E-6 and higher tech geeks are also pretty damn sharp,but AFAIK,I never met  or talked with one because we had nothing in common to discuss so we could compare notes.

I have no idea about the current group of USMC recruits,but I am GUESSING they want to be the successful,confident Marines their senior NCO's are.

The failure,IF there is any actual failures,can be laid at the doorsteps of idiot politicians that are given responsibility related to the USMC and the other branches. Sadly,there is no shortage of politicians that WANT to see ALL of the US Military fail.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!