Author Topic: 2023 Election Fallout: 2024 rivals DeSantis, Haley, Christie blame Trump for GOP's rough night  (Read 1667 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
2023 Election Fallout: 2024 rivals DeSantis, Haley, Christie blame Trump for GOP's rough night
Nikki Haley's campaign charges that 'Trump is a loser' as they blame the former president for the disappointing GOP results in the 2023 elections
 By Paul Steinhauser Fox News
Published November 8, 2023 11:27am EST

MIAMI – A dismal night for Republicans on Election Day 2023 is giving some of former President Donald Trump's rivals fresh ammunition to target the commanding front-runner for the 2024 GOP nomination.

The disappointing results — which included Democratic Gov. Andy Beshear winning re-election in red-state Kentucky; Democrats winning total control of the state legislature in Virginia, expanding their legislative majorities in New Jersey and winning a state Supreme Court seat in battleground Pennsylvania; and the convincing victory in Ohio of a referendum that enshrined abortion rights in the state's constitution — follow similar results in the 2022 midterm elections, when an expected red wave never materialized.

"Last night was a sweeping loss for republicans. It was eerily similar to last November, when the anticipated ‘red wave’ never came," James Uthmeier, who manages Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis' presidential campaign, said in a social media post.

The comment was a clear dig at Trump, who was heavily criticized by many in the GOP following last year's midterms, as a bunch of high-profile Trump-backed candidates went down to defeat, arguably costing Republicans control of the Senate, a larger House majority and control of a handful of governorships.

Pointing to DeSantis' convincingly gubernatorial re-election victory last year, Uthmeier emphasized, "@RonDeSantis won by 20 points and turned the swing state of Florida solid red. We need a new leader that can win again for America."

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/2023-election-fallout-desantis-haley-christie-point-fingers-trump-gops-rough-night
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
What has Trump won since 2016?

Offline mountaineer

Long Monkeypox
@podiatristdon
If Trump really wanted to end DeSantis’ political career he could always just endorse him.
10:30 AM · Nov 8, 2023
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Christian Conservative overreach is to blame for lat night's GOP losses.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Hoodat

Christian Conservative overreach is to blame for lat night's GOP losses.

What Christian Conservative overreach are you referring to?  Please be specific.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Christian Conservative overreach:

1.) State abortion bans with no exceptions.
2.) Clarence Thomas statements about reversing gay marriage and contraception.
3.) Now that Dobbs Decision sent the issue of abortion back to the States, Congressional MAGAS now advocate a Federal abortion ban.
4.) Florida's AP education and school book bans.
5.) The use of the Waco Federal Court to attempt to impose a national ban for a pregnancy prevention pharmaceutical medication.

Christian Conservatives have made it clear that they are seeking to use the power of the Government to reverse post World War II social progress.  They seek to make Government an extension, instrument, and enforcer of religious dogma, much like the Puritans.

Civil liberatarians don't want Government to abridge freedom of thought and freedom of choice.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision

3.) Now that Dobbs Decision sent the issue of abortion back to the States, Congressional MAGAS now advocate a Federal abortion ban.
5.) The use of the Waco Federal Court to attempt to impose a national ban for a pregnancy prevention pharmaceutical medication.

Christian Conservatives have made it clear that they are seeking to use the power of the Government to reverse post World War II social progress.  They seek to make Government an extension, instrument, and enforcer of religious dogma, much like the Puritans.

Civil liberatarians don't want Government to abridge freedom of thought and freedom of choice.
The American people have proven themselves incapable of making the correct choices, only serving their immediate self-interest.

Again, failure of democracy.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Hoodat

This wasn't on the ballot in Virgina.  Besides, what does the abortion law in my State have to do with Virginia? 

Thomas was talking about legal precedence, not that this was an issue in yesterday's election.  Do you have a problem with what the Constitution says?

Sheer idiocy.  But then Congressional MAGAs are not Christian Conservatives.

Republicans didn't lose the House in Virginia because of something that Florida did.

I know nothing of this.  And I am sure Virginia voters know nothing of it either.  Do you have a link?

Pure bullshit.  Every Christian Conservative I know merely wants to be left alone.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline DefiantMassRINO

The national Republican brand is ca-ca poo-poo.

There is no differential between MAGAS, Texas, Florida, House Republicans, Senate Republicans, and Republican Supreme Court Nominees.

Texas, Florida, and Mississippi are viewed as incubators for Chriistian Conservative extremist policies, strategies, and tactics.

The Republican brand is extremist duplicitous incompetence ... much like Trump himself.

Offline Hoodat

Texas, Florida, and Mississippi are viewed as incubators for Chriistian Conservative extremist policies, strategies, and tactics.

People from Texas, Florida, Mississippi, and my State really don't give a damn how y'all do things up North.  No one here is telling you how to run your lives and your State, so go enjoy yourself a steaming cup of STFU.  My State has a Republican Governor, Lt. Gov, AG, etc., a Republican State Legislature, two Republican US Senators, and all US House members are Republicans save one.  So maybe we know a thing or two about getting Republican Conservatives elected around here.  It centers on sticking to Conservative principles in government.  And it damn sure has nothing to do with complaining how screwed up Massachusetts is.  Because we really don't care.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline corbe

Don't be modest @Hoodat
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline bilo

People from Texas, Florida, Mississippi, and my State really don't give a damn how y'all do things up North.  No one here is telling you how to run your lives and your State, so go enjoy yourself a steaming cup of STFU.  My State has a Republican Governor, Lt. Gov, AG, etc., a Republican State Legislature, two Republican US Senators, and all US House members are Republicans save one.  So maybe we know a thing or two about getting Republican Conservatives elected around here.  It centers on sticking to Conservative principles in government.  And it damn sure has nothing to do with complaining how screwed up Massachusetts is.  Because we really don't care.

Well said!

FWIW, Pubs that are losing because of abortion are the ones who are afraid to fight for the unborn.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The national Republican brand is ca-ca poo-poo.

There is no differential between MAGAS, Texas, Florida, House Republicans, Senate Republicans, and Republican Supreme Court Nominees.

The Republican brand is extremist duplicitous incompetence ... much like Trump himself.

Christian Conservative "extremist" policy comes from some place independent of political party or North American Geography: here is one version.

As for being extremist, Once started, either that baby emerges alive or it comes out dead, one way or another.
In rare instances, the growth and full development of the baby will kill both the mother and the child. I know of no law which prohibits terminating a pregnancy under those circumstances to preserve the physical life of the mother.

There sure is a lot of media bullshit about "women's health care" being "ended" and the books burnt in some sort of Joan of Arc style pyre, when what we are talking about here is primarily not killing unborn babies, half of which are female (statistically). There are ample different ways to prevent pregnancy, and have been since I went to college (Ford Administration)

Every "successful" procedure kills at least one human. Get enough of those, save up the parts to 'send in', and you, too, might get that Lamborghini...just like cereal box tops sent to Battle Creek.

Or how about the enduring moral concept that MURDER IS WRONG?

If our society has discarded that, I'm getting myself a plate carrier for Christmas, and doing some more range time.  No people who can't agree on such a fundamental moral principle will ever have a government worth a damn, and all the sad decay that goes with that.

John Adams said:
“Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”

Without that the Republic is doomed, and it won't take long.

Those rules in the Bible were not to keep you from having a good time, they were to guide us all in the best, safest, healthiest, happiest, and productive life, to be better able to serve our God and each other. Not constraining fences, but guardrails along the pitfalls of life.

YMMV.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Of all the Federal Courts in the land, and of all the Federal Judges in the land, anti-abortion activists chose Waco Federal Court and District Judge Matthew Kacsmaryk to hear the mifepristone case.

Texas already has a heart-beat abortion ban.  So, this was an attempt to use a specific judge in a specific Federal court district to incrementally implement a nation-wide abortion ban, via the Courts, not the Legislature.

Just as 2nd Amendment activists are justifiably concerned that anti-gun activists will use the Federal Government to implement a nation wide weapons ban; pro-choice activists are concerned that pro-life activists will use the Federal Government to implement a nationwide abortion ban.

One thing the Dobbs Decision did, was remove the false belief that legal precedent was almost good as law.

More citizens are working to enshrine reproductive choice into their state constitutions because they can no longer trust that the courts or the legislatures will protect freedoms, liberties, and rights.

The Dobbs case in Mississippi was used to obliterate the (false) protections provided by the (just/unjust) precedent of Roe v Wade.

The mifepristone case in Waco was an attempt to expand the abortion ban in Texas, nationwide.

Pro-Life activists want to compartmentalize these various cases to hide that there is a concerted, well-funded, pro-Life effort to implement a nationwide abortion ban by a thousand legal cuts.

The Dobbs case and the mifepristone case are the opening salvos for a nationwide de facto or de jure abortion ban.  Members of Congress have expressed support for a Federal abortion ban.

Nancy Pelosi is coming to take your guns away; pro-life activists are coming to take our reproductive self-determination away.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 03:12:49 pm by DefiantMassRINO »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Make the official position of the party to leave the issue up to referendum.

Offline mountaineer

pro-life activists are coming to take our reproductive self-determination away.
Every person who engages in sexual intercourse still has his or her full reproductive self-determination fully intact. Use protection.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Artificial contraception is on the hitlist of the extreme pro-Lifers ... lower than abortion and gay marriage, but still on their list ... they have not stated what their utlimate end game is ... they will keep pushing the envelope by seeking to have the US Supreme Court reverse precedents that are not enshrined in law or constitutions ... with each "win", they are only encouraged to continue ... until the United States is more akin to a Papal State than a Constitutional Federal Republic.

Every person who engages in sexual intercourse still has his or her full reproductive self-determination fully intact. Use protection.

Offline mountaineer

Artificial contraception is on the hitlist of the extreme pro-Lifers ... lower than abortion and gay marriage, but still on their list ...
Untrue. Maybe certain Catholics oppose the use of contraceptives, condoms, and the like, but that is not at all true of most pro-life people.

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
People keep arguing democrats need to see the moral side of things.  One of the dumbest points i've see, like trying to teach a fish to ride a bicycle.  Blind stupidity convinces mighty few, and soils you reputation.
 :smokin: :smokin: :smokin:
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Long Monkeypox
@podiatristdon
If Trump really wanted to end DeSantis’ political career he could always just endorse him.
10:30 AM · Nov 8, 2023

Like this?

https://twitter.com/TAftermath2020/status/1723830029170376804

Offline corbe

Dr. diagnosed me as Hyper Trumphobia last week, my medication is not yet fully adjusted.  So, I won't watch your video.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Artificial contraception is on the hitlist of the extreme pro-Lifers ... lower than abortion and gay marriage, but still on their list ... they have not stated what their utlimate end game is ... they will keep pushing the envelope by seeking to have the US Supreme Court reverse precedents that are not enshrined in law or constitutions ... with each "win", they are only encouraged to continue ... until the United States is more akin to a Papal State than a Constitutional Federal Republic.
What nonsense! Even the Catholic Church at its most extreme has permitted the use of barrier methods (condoms) since I was learning about such as a young man, and I'm a great-grandfather 10 times over.

I think you will find that even the most extreme, as you describe them, would prefer preventing conception over "terminating that little lump of cells".

But the biggest problem here, is that those who advocate for abortion present the other side in an extremist light that is unearned.

The very arguments most commonly presented in favor of abortion are drawn from extreme examples, i.e., abortion to preserve the mother's life, or to kill babies who are a result of rape and/or incest, categories which comprise an incredibly small fraction of the abortions or pregnancies out there.

Considering the abortion rate in the US is 11.2 per thousand1, and the rate of rape is 0.4 per thousand2. Either there is a hell of a lot of incest out there, or a hell of a lot of babies are being killed for convenience.

Half the royalty in Europe was the result of centuries of incest. At times, that really shows.

1https://www.kff.org/womens-health-policy/report/key-facts-on-abortion-in-the-united-states/

2https://www.statista.com/statistics/191226/reported-forcible-rape-rate-in-the-us-since-1990/
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
   Dr. diagnosed me as Hyper Trumphobia last week, my medication is not yet fully adjusted.  So, I won't watch your video.

Excellent choice.   You'd probably want to hurt yourself.   :tongue2:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald