Author Topic: Decisions in 14th Amendment cases could impact pending Colorado, Michigan efforts to remove Trump fr  (Read 704 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Decisions in 14th Amendment cases could impact pending Colorado, Michigan efforts to remove Trump from ballot
Trump is facing multiple efforts in states across the nation to remove him from ballot using 14th Amendment
 By Brooke Singman Fox News

The Minnesota Supreme Court this week dismissed a lawsuit attempting to keep former President Trump off the ballot in the state, a decision that could impact efforts to prevent Trump from appearing on ballots in Colorado and Michigan.

The lawsuits seek to use the Disqualifications Clause, or Section 3 of the 14th Amendment.

That clause bars individuals who have "engaged in insurrection or rebellion" against America or who have aided those engaged in such activities from holding office.

The lawsuits cite Trump’s alleged involvement in the Capitol riot Jan. 6, 2021.

"There is no state statute that prohibits a major political party from placing on the presidential nomination primary ballot, or sending delegates to the national convention supporting, a candidate who is ineligible to hold office," Minnesota Supreme Court Chief Justice Natalie Hudson ruled.

The ruling potentially leaves open the possibility Trump could be kept off the ballot during the general election next November.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/decisions-14th-amendment-cases-could-impact-pending-colorado-michigan-efforts-remove-trump-ballot
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline LMAO

No

Unless and until he’s convicted of something that can keep him off the ballot, the answer is no
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
SCOTUS needs to decide this once and for all, and quick.
The Republic is lost.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
The Colorado state courts will move to bar Mr. Trump from the ballot.

In Michigan, it's a toss-up.

Vulcan is right -- this needs to get pushed up to the Supreme Court quickly.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
The Colorado state courts will move to bar Mr. Trump from the ballot.

In Michigan, it's a toss-up.

Vulcan is right -- this needs to get pushed up to the Supreme Court quickly.

Right, and that's why the Minnesota decision isn't really a good thing.  I don't plan on voting for the guy, but I still don't like abuse of the legal system for partisan purposes.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Right, and that's why the Minnesota decision isn't really a good thing.  I don't plan on voting for the guy, but I still don't like abuse of the legal system for partisan purposes.

PA did the same thing to Cruz and he prevailed.  Each state is different.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
PA did the same thing to Cruz and he prevailed.  Each state is different.

Yes, but it would be better if at least one blue state ruled against him sooner rather than later so he could get a challenge heading up the appeals pipeline. Otherwise, it's going to be a whole bunch of cases being argued/decided in a relatively short period of time.  Better to get clarity.