Author Topic: Hundreds more airmen to receive medals for roles in Kabul evacuation  (Read 250 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Hundreds more airmen to receive medals for roles in Kabul evacuation
By Rachel S. Cohen
 Wednesday, Nov 8

Hundreds more airmen who orchestrated Operation Allies Refuge, the massive evacuation of civilians from Afghanistan as U.S. forces withdrew in 2021, will receive medals honoring those efforts, the Air Force announced Wednesday.

Air Mobility Command, which oversees the airlift and aerial refueling enterprise, said it will award 355 medals in all. They include eight Distinguished Flying Crosses, the Pentagon’s highest award for extraordinary aerial achievement; two Bronze Stars; 229 Air Medals, for especially noteworthy acts in flight; and 98 Meritorious Service Medals, for heroism or similarly significant accomplishments.

The announcement marks the latest round of recognition — and the largest batch of awards to date — for the pilots, maintainers, loadmasters, security forces, medics and others who participated in what the Air Force believes is the largest air evacuation of noncombatants in U.S. history.

“It is with great humility, gratitude and honor that I have the opportunity to recognize the actions of these mobility heroes,” Air Force mobility boss Gen. Mike Minihan said in a release. “This recognition is long overdue, but I hope everyone involved in this incredible operation knows our deepest appreciation for their sacrifice.”

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2023/11/08/hundreds-more-airmen-to-receive-medals-for-roles-in-kabul-evacuation/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Hundreds more airmen to receive medals for roles in Kabul evacuation
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2023, 02:32:37 pm »
Hey, I read about it!  Can I get a medal too? :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson