Author Topic: GOP divisions force Mike Johnson to punt on spending bills  (Read 450 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP divisions force Mike Johnson to punt on spending bills
« on: November 10, 2023, 02:28:58 pm »
GOP divisions force Mike Johnson to punt on spending bills
    Andrew Solender

House Republicans on Thursday pulled their third government funding vote in two weeks due to threats from moderates and conservatives to kill the legislation.

Why it matters: Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) is facing the same internal GOP divisions that led to the ouster of former Speaker Kevin McCarthy– and they may be getting worse.

"Everybody is facing that same state of play," said Rep. Thomas Massie (R-Ky.), adding that the new speaker's "honeymoon period ... might be shorter than we thought."
    "There's 20 or 30 Republicans that are more in the Biden districts, the frontline ... we're tired of taking crappy votes," said Rep. Don Bacon (R-Neb.).

Driving the news: The House had been scheduled to vote on the Financial Services and General Government appropriations bill on Tuesday morning, but the vote was abruptly cancelled.

The bill funds the Treasury Department, White House, federal judiciary and other agencies, as well as Washington, D.C.'s local budget.

more
https://www.axios.com/2023/11/09/johnson-mccarthy-house-republicans-spending-bills

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: GOP divisions force Mike Johnson to punt on spending bills
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2023, 03:35:22 pm »
This should surprise no one.

Given a caucus this divided, and with this small of a majority, the real power is held not by the Speaker, but by any small group within the caucus unwilling to be moved on their issues.

This, not McCarthy, is why all those appropriations bills weren't passed.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 03:42:33 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2023, 03:44:53 pm »
 :bkmk:
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline berdie

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2023, 08:51:43 pm »
This should surprise no one.

Given a caucus this divided, and with this small of a majority, the real power is held not by the Speaker, but by any small group within the caucus unwilling to be moved on their issues.

This, not McCarthy, is why all those appropriations bills weren't passed.

That's how it seems to me as well.