Author Topic: Federal funding bill on hold after GOP conflict on D.C. abortion rider  (Read 406 times)

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
More House GOP fun!

Federal funding bill on hold after GOP conflict on D.C. abortion rider

House GOP leadership postponed a vote on a major federal appropriations bill Thursday after a group of moderate Republicans objected to a D.C. abortion-related restriction contained in the hulking package.

Eight Republicans raised concerns with a provision that would have blocked D.C. from enforcing a 2014 law prohibiting discrimination based on reproductive health choices — a large enough bloc to make a difference due to Republicans’ slim margin, especially given some absences....

...Rep. John S. Duarte (R-Calif.), among the Republicans to object to the D.C. rider, told reporters that the group of moderates wanted to see the provision stripped from the bill and offered as a separate amendment. He described it as “completely unrelated” to the funding package and questioned why anyone would want to allow discrimination against people who may have had abortions.

The moderates are standing our ground,” Duarte said. “A lot of us in swing districts — and a lot of us that want to be very respectful of where the American people are and aren’t on these social issues — are standing our ground and setting some limits as to what can get jammed into these bills.....”

And then on the other end....

Separately, complicating the vote further, Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) and other House Freedom Caucus members were still angered that their party helped defeat Gaetz’s amendment to block funding for a new FBI headquarters and some were prepared to vote against the appropriations bill, according to two people who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss private negotiations.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2023/11/09/congress-republican-moderates-dc-abortion-rider/

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: Federal funding bill on hold after GOP conflict on D.C. abortion rider
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2023, 01:21:12 am »
 :bkmk:
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Federal funding bill on hold after GOP conflict on D.C. abortion rider
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2023, 03:08:20 am »
 :pop41:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis