Author Topic: Mobile and Resilient, the U.S. Military Is Placing a New Emphasis on Ground Troops for Pacific Defen  (Read 263 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Mobile and Resilient, the U.S. Military Is Placing a New Emphasis on Ground Troops for Pacific Defense
.By David Rising

BANGKOK (AP) — As Chinese missile testing in the waters around Taiwan grew increasingly aggressive in 1996, the U.S. sailed two aircraft carrier groups to the island that Beijing claims as its own, and China was forced to back down.

It employed a similar response to Hamas’ surprise attack on Israel a month ago, dispatching two carrier groups to the eastern Mediterranean in a rapid and massive show of force meant to deter other countries or Iran-backed proxy groups such as Hezbollah from joining the fight.

But what is still viable in the Mideast is increasingly less practical with China, which in 1996 had no carriers of its own and little means to threaten the American ships, but now has the world’s largest navy, including three aircraft carriers, and a coastline bristling with anti-ship and anti-aircraft missiles.

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2023/11/09/mobile_and_resilient_the_us_military_is_placing_a_new_emphasis_on_ground_troops_for_pacific_defense_991682.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
I'm no flag officer but did spend a fair amount of time over that way during Viet Nam.  Had they asked me, I could have told them 50 years ago they would need lots of innovation for the ground troops to be successful on those islands.  Viet Nam was a good harbinger of that.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Good ol' fashioned island hopping.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright