Author Topic: Navy Mulling Large Diameter Sub Hulls After 12 Columbias, SSN(X) Requirements Due Next Year  (Read 254 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Navy Mulling Large Diameter Sub Hulls After 12 Columbias, SSN(X) Requirements Due Next Year
By: Sam LaGrone and Mallory Shelbourne
November 8, 2023 6:53 PM • Updated: November 9, 2023 9:49 AM

ARLINGTON, Va. – After delivering the dozen nuclear ballistic missile submarines to meet the U.S. nuclear deterrent, the Navy could keep large diameter hull submarines in production, the service’s director of undersea warfare (N97) said on Wednesday.

The Navy needs to build 12 Columbia-class SSBNs to meet the requirements from the U.S. Strategic Command for nuclear ballistic missile patrols at sea, Rear Adm. Mark Behning said.

“Columbia, when it was first built and designed, is designed to replace the current Ohio-class of 14 with 12. We’re able to do that by eliminating the midlife refueling overhaul,” he said during a presentation at the Naval Submarine League 2023 annual symposium.

Following the last planned Columbia delivery in the 2040s – SSBN-838 set to replace USS Louisiana (SSBN-783) – the Navy wants to continue to build large-diameter submarines for a variety of missions.

https://news.usni.org/2023/11/08/navy-mulling-large-diameter-subs-hulls-after-12-columbias-ssnx-requirements-due-next-year
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
To where is the Pentagon diverting all the money allocated for these projects? :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

How about building submarines for non-nulcear missiles that will be launched against China, North Korea, and Iran?
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright