Author Topic: Navy to Award Long-Delayed Overhaul Contract for USS Boise in 2024  (Read 260 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Navy to Award Long-Delayed Overhaul Contract for USS Boise in 2024
By: Mallory Shelbourne
November 7, 2023 6:54 PM • Updated: November 7, 2023 8:06 PM

An undated photo of USS Bosie (SSN-764). US Navy Photo

ARLINGTON, Va. – The Navy will issue an award to overhaul an attack submarine that has sat idle for years next year, a service official said Tuesday.

USS Boise (SSN-764) has sat idle at HII’s Newport News Shipbuilding since 2020 after losing its dive certificate in 2017 due to a backlog at the public shipyards.

“We are officially going to award, contract, to start the [engineering overhaul] officially in early calendar year 24,” Rear Adm. Jonathan Rucker, the program executive officer for attack submarines, said at the annual Naval Submarine League symposium,

“And we’ve worked with Newport News to lay out a contract schedule and a plan that gets us that boat back at the right time to get the right operational availability … and multiple deployments in support of what Adm. Houston needs,” Rucker added, referring to Naval Submarine Forces commander Vice Adm. Bill Houston.

https://news.usni.org/2023/11/07/navy-to-award-long-delayed-overhaul-contract-for-uss-boise-in-2024
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Navy to Award Long-Delayed Overhaul Contract for USS Boise in 2024
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2023, 03:30:31 pm »
Kicking the can down the pier for another year! :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson