Author Topic: The US Army needs tanks to win a war in the Pacific, but it knows the Abrams isn't the right tank fo  (Read 236 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The US Army needs tanks to win a war in the Pacific, but it knows the Abrams isn't the right tank for the job
Michael Peck Nov 7, 2023, 6:17 PM EST
M1A2 Abrams tank fires gun cannon
A US Army M1A2 Abrams tank at Fort Stewart in Georgia in December 2016. US Army/Staff Sgt. Antonio Vincent
The US Army knows it needs tanks for effective combined-arms operations in Europe and Asia.

But it also knows rivals are building weapons that are potent against the aging Abrams tank.

The challenge now is building a tank to face new threats in different regions for decades to come.

Can one tank still be good enough to fight on two different battlefields? That's the dilemma the US Army faces as it grapples with designing a next-generation tank that can fight in both Europe and the Pacific.

Rivals in both theaters — chiefly Russia and China — have studied US armored vehicles and the way they're used and are fielding weapons to counter them. The Army's main battle tank, the M1 Abrams, now faces two main problems.

https://www.businessinsider.com/army-knows-abrams-tanks-arent-suited-for-russia-china-war-2023-11
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Hey, everyone!  Let's send a message to our enemies and tell them we can't win a war with them in places like Taiwan!
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson