Author Topic: Military Growing More Distant from Most Americans, Hicks Says  (Read 271 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Military Growing More Distant from Most Americans, Hicks Says
« on: November 08, 2023, 03:14:01 pm »
Military Growing More Distant from Most Americans, Hicks Says
Nov. 7, 2023 | By John A. Tirpak

After 50 years, the All-Volunteer Force still works and is the right model, Deputy Secretary of Defense Kathleen Hicks said Nov. 7. However, to fill the ranks in a hot labor market, the Pentagon needs to expand its eligibilities and make the benefits it offers more relevant and well known.

Congress also needs to stop using the military as a political pawn and predictably fund the defense budget, she asserted, calling out Sen. Tommy Tuberville’s (R-Ala.) ongoing hold on military promotions and noting that since 2010, the Defense Department has operated for a cumulative four years under continuing resolutions.

Speaking at the Center for a New American Security to talk about the All-Volunteer Force, which took effect in 1973, Hicks said the fact that “it has lasted for 50 years and that we have built the finest force in the world is a testament to its strength, and I believe that it remains the best model for the U.S. military,”

Its success can’t be taken for granted. She said the two goals facing the creators of the AVF—“healthy civil-military relations and recruiting and retaining the force we need”—require constant attention.

https://www.airandspaceforces.com/hicks-military-growing-distant-americans/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Military Growing More Distant from Most Americans, Hicks Says
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2023, 03:15:02 pm »
Who is interested in something that has become just another social justice movement? :shrug:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson