Author Topic: AC-130J Ghostriders Could Lose Their Big 105mm Guns  (Read 291 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
AC-130J Ghostriders Could Lose Their Big 105mm Guns
« on: November 08, 2023, 11:11:08 am »
AC-130J Ghostriders Could Lose Their Big 105mm Guns
© USAF

The Air Force's AC-130J Ghostrider gunships might lose their iconic 105mm howitzers, starting within the next two years or so. The deliberations center heavily on a desire for more stand-off strike capacity, especially ahead of any potential future high-conflict, such as one against China. The service has already been testing special operations C-130s, along with other cargo aircraft, as possible cruise missile carriers using palletized launch systems.

Stephen Losey from Defense News first reported that the future of the 105mm howitzer on the AC-130J, a key feature found on multiple AC-130 variants dating back to the Vietnam War, is in question earlier today. At present, the Air Force has 30 Ghostriders, the only version of the AC-130 now in service. Depending on what course of action the Air Force ultimately pursues, those aircraft could begin seeing their big guns removed in 2026.

The current fixed armament configuration of the AC-130J includes a 30mm GAU-23/A Bushmaster automatic cannon and a 105mm howitzer, both firing out the left side of the fuselage. There are no plans to remove the 30mm gun, per Defense News' reporting.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ac-130j-ghostriders-could-lose-their-big-105mm-guns/ar-AA1jyqjm?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=7352549c99664ef1b3bff16d918ced6a&ei=27
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: AC-130J Ghostriders Could Lose Their Big 105mm Guns
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2023, 11:12:22 am »
Its okay, everyone.  It's just our military trying to make war fighting more equitable for our enemies. *****rollingeyes*****
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson