Author Topic: SENIOR LEADERS MUST OWN THE LACK OF WARFIGHTING FOCUS  (Read 244 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
SENIOR LEADERS MUST OWN THE LACK OF WARFIGHTING FOCUS
« on: November 07, 2023, 06:14:52 pm »
SENIOR LEADERS MUST OWN THE LACK OF WARFIGHTING FOCUS
NOVEMBER 6, 2023 GUEST AUTHOR 2 COMMENTS
Flotilla Notes Series

By CDR Paul W. Viscovich, USN (ret.)

Vale la pena (“It is worth the effort”) was the motto of Naval Special Warfare Group EIGHT when it was stationed in Panama some 30 years ago. It was an appropriate philosophy for a tip-of-the-spear warfighting unit, and they lived up to it in operations throughout the U.S. Southern Command area of responsibility. Can these SEALs teach us how to prioritize warfighting, and can their unit-level lessons be applied throughout the fleet?

In order to prioritize one thing – warfighting – it is necessary to diminish the importance of conflicting requirements. Due to the unique nature of their mission, and with the unyielding support of their NAVSPECWAR chain of command, the SEALs are largely insulated from the administrative distractions that bedevil the other warfighting communities. Their maintenance, training, and security programs are all consciously vectored toward supporting their one priority – providing warfighting capability.

Two things allow the SEALs to accomplish this. First, their entire community is culturally focused on warfighting. Second, their senior leadership is uncompromising in eliminating anything that distracts from this priority.

https://cimsec.org/senior-leaders-must-own-the-lack-of-warfighting-focus/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: SENIOR LEADERS MUST OWN THE LACK OF WARFIGHTING FOCUS
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2023, 06:19:37 pm »
Michigan kicked Purdue's ass's last Sat.  by 4 touchdowns.  One of the reasons had to be Purdue's head coach was more focused on the punishment Michigan should get than he was on the game at hand and so his teamed wasn't either.  The same principle applies to the military readiness.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson