Author Topic: Election Day in America: Kentucky, Mississippi, Virginia, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio to Vote, Se  (Read 11376 times)

Online andy58-in-nh

Democrats now have enormous social, cultural, institutional and financial advantages over Republicans both at the state and national levels.

Absent Joe Biden - who may yet be compelled not to run - Republicans are destined to be a regionally-based minority party for the foreseeable future.

Consider that the only "hope" for Republicans would be the specter of an incoherent and confused Democrat incumbent running against a GOP opponent who may well be in prison next year.

That's how bad things are. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline dfwgator

This country is finished. God has given up on us, and rightly so.

Offline dfwgator

Trump himself, is electable IMO. I'm not saying he's the best candidate, but he is electable. However, when he endorses people not named Donald Trump it's like reverse kryptonite... they lose most of the time. Time to kick this guy to the curb and save the party.

Well we learned that Youngkin is no savior, neither.   GOP is finished.   Need something else.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Virginia Democrats Keep Senate, Projected to Win House of Delegates in Blow to Youngkin

Virginia Democrats kept the Senate and are projected to capture the House of delegates Tuesday in a blow to Gov. Glenn Youngkin (R-VA) and Republicans in Virginia, and beyond, hoping to fight the state’s two-decade lurch towards the Democrat Party.

Republicans captured the House of delegates along with the governorship two years ago, but new district maps inserted additional uncertainty into this year’s elections.

Youngkin’s gubernatorial victory particularly was seen as a potential dynamic shift in a state that has moved increasingly from purple to blue.

The governor risked significant political and personal capital in this year’s races, which have been painted as a significant test for his brand of conservatism as his national profile grows amid speculation he will run for the presidency or the Senate.

The Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee (DLCC) called the Democrat victory in the senate an “important victory that will provide a vital check on Governor Youngkin and the worst of the Republican Party’s extreme agenda.”

Republican control of the legislative branch would have provided Youngkin his only chance to showcase his brand of governance in advance of a potential run for higher office.

Younkin is unable to run again in 2026 due to Virginia’s limiting governors to one term.

Youngkin recruited, campaigned, fundraised, endorsed, and pleaded in his attempt to flip the Senate and keep the House of delegates.

The governor’s team touted going ten for ten with his preferred candidates in contested primaries and caucuses.

Youngkin appears to have hit on only about half of those ten races with some not yet called.

Additionally, State Sen. Siobhan Dunnavant, a Youngkin ally, went down to Democrat challenger Schuyler VanValkenburg. In a Loudon County area district, Republican Juan Pablo Segura also was defeated by Democrat Russet Perry.

Anti-Trump donors and consultants have attempted to get Youngkin to consider entering the 2024 race, especially as Gov. Ron DeSantis continues his shocking slide since entering the race. Trump’s continued surge in the polls despite his many legal troubles, in spite of mainstream prognostications, make that unlikely.

Tonight’s results likely end the Youngkin-in-2024 speculation for good.

Trump himself loomed over this election as well, as Democrats painted not only Youngkin but Republican candidates on the ballot as “extreme MAGA” for ties to Trump.

The future of abortion rights in the aftermath of the end of Roe v. Wade, made possible only through Trump’s three nominations to the Supreme Court, played prominently in Democrat attacks as well.

Those issues were wielded effectively to counter the GOP’s efforts to make gains in suburbs.

Youngkin encouraged candidates to follow his lead on both Trump and abortion rights. He has insisted Biden legitimately won the 2020 election and proposed a fifteen-week abortion ban in Virginia with exceptions for rape, incest, and to protect the life of the mother.

DLCC Interim President Heather Williams said, “Democrats’ message of protecting fundamental freedoms resonated with voters tonight and allowed us to protect this chamber against an onslaught of spending and disinformation from Gov. Youngkin and his allies.”

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2023/11/07/virginia-democrats-keep-senate-projected-to-win-house-of-delegates-in-blow-to-youngkin/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Danica Roem Becomes First Transgender Elected to State Senate in South

Delegate Danica Roem speaks on the floor of the House of Delegates about an amendment to a bill she introduced Wednesday, April 3, 2019 in Richmond, Va.
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Well we learned that Youngkin is no savior, neither.   GOP is finished.   Need something else.

Trump is pulling down the whole party into a pool of shit.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
When I went to bed last night he was projected to lose...good news

Mississippi Gov. Tate Reeves Defeats Democrat Brandon Presley, Elvis’s Second Cousin

Mississippi Gov. Tate Reeves (R) won reelection on Tuesday, giving him a second term as the leader of the Magnolia State, according to projections.
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Biden Fundraises off Election Wins: ‘Democracy Won and MAGA Lost’

President Joe Biden fundraised off the Democrat Party’s nearly flawless election day on Tuesday, using the victories in Ohio, Kentucky, and likely in Virginia to draw a contrast between “democracy” and “MAGA.”
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Republican Jay Ruais Elected Mayor of Manchester, New Hampshire

Republicans picked up an important victory on Tuesday night when Jay Ruais won the mayoral race in Manchester, New Hampshire, the state’s most populous city.
Support the USO

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Democrats keep control of N.J. Legislature as State Sen. Edward ‘Ed the Trucker’ Durr loses

New Jersey Democrats retained their legislature majority in Tuesday’s election, recapturing a key South Jersey seat lost two years ago and holding off Republicans in competitive races that featured an electorate fractured over ocean wind turbines, abortion, the treatment of trans students and school parental notification.

After 2021′s shocker, in which Republican truck driver Edward Durr defeated State Senate President and Democratic powerhouse Steve Sweeney in Gloucester County’s Third District and a closer-than-expected win for Gov. Phil Murphy, nothing in New Jersey politics was being taken for granted.

On Tuesday, Durr ran out of gas, losing to Democrat John Burzichelli, a former ten-term Assemblyman and mayor of Paulsboro.

Burzichelli said his campaign prioritized women’s health and reproductive rights, in addition to the issues of affordability in the expensive state. He said the campaign sent 18 pieces of mail to the homes of voters and blanketed the district with digital and broadcast ads.

I think women spoke, quite frankly,” said Burzichelli, said late Tuesday night by telephone, after taking what he said was a concession call from Durr.

https://www.inquirer.com/politics/election/new-jersey-legislature-election-results-2023-20231108.html
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 01:51:09 pm by Gefn »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Democrats won control of the House of Delegates and maintained their grip on the state Senate. Tuesday’s election results mark a reversal from two years ago, when Youngkin was elected governor and Republicans won control of the House of Delegates.

Various Democratic figures jumped into the campaign. President Biden issued endorsements last week, while former President Obama recorded robocalls in various districts. Maryland Gov. Wes Moore (D) also made the trip to Virginia to campaign alongside a number of candidates.

Democrats in competitive races repeatedly hammered their GOP counterparts as “MAGA extremists” and warned that Republicans would move to pass an abortion ban in the state. The Democratic victory makes it highly unlikely that Youngkin’s endorsed 15 week ban with exceptions on abortion will pass through.

But Tuesday’s wins do not mean smooth sailing for the Democrats’ policy agenda. Democrats in the state legislature will likely clash with Youngkin, who could block a number of initiatives from being passed.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4298211-virginia-democrats-glenn-youngkin-abortion-joe-biden-obama-2024/
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Abortion rights won during Tuesday's elections in glimmer of hope for Biden 2024
by Mabinty Quarshie, National Politics Correspondent

Abortion rights messaging proved to be a winning issue during Tuesday night's off-year elections and it could help President Joe Biden's reelection as it struggles to defend itself against worrying polls in hypothetical rematches against former President Donald Trump.

Polls from the New York Times-Siena College showed Trump leading Biden in five out of six key battleground states — Arizona, Georgia, Michigan, Nevada, and Pennsylvania — prompting Democratic fretting over the 2024 elections. A CNN poll released Tuesday night showed Trump leading Biden 49% to 45%, another troubling sign. But positive signs from across the nation on Tuesday may give Biden a narrative strategy to counteract Trump, should he win the GOP nomination.

In bellwether Virginia, Republicans lost control of both chambers in the state legislature severely thwarting Gov. Glenn Youngkin's hopes of enacting a 15-week abortion restriction. Youngkin had argued that if Virginians gave him legislative trifecta he could pass conservative policies he can't enact currently due to Democrats controlling the state Senate.

Sarah Chamberlain, president and CEO of the Republican Main Street Partnership, told the Washington Examiner the results were "disappointing" but it wouldn't damper Youngkin's ability to run for president in 2028 should he want to seek higher office.

"Clearly abortion is still top in voters' minds. And I would say it's really women's health care," Chamberlain said. "I've told the members of Republican Main Street Partnership this for two years and we're trying to figure it out. We need an answer to the abortion issue."

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/campaigns/abortion-rights-won-tuesday-biden-2024
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 01:51:57 pm by mystery-ak »
Support the USO

Offline LMAO

Trump is pulling down the whole party into a pool of shit.

Yup

And this has been happening even before the Dobbs decision. Hoping that enough democrat voters will stay home next year like they did in 2016, with Trump squeaking out another win again through the EC as we see is a failed strategy. Forget any polls that show Donald Trump beating Biden. Not going to happen.

As early as January 2016, Republicans, held more public office than any time since the early 20th century

It’s too bad what happened in Kentucky.  This Daniel Cameron seems like a very decent man and he did graciously concede
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 02:20:11 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline LMAO

President Joe Biden fundraised off the Democrat Party’s nearly flawless election day on Tuesday, using the victories in Ohio, Kentucky, and likely in Virginia to draw a contrast between “democracy” and “MAGA.”

After the lack of a 2022 red wave, I said that the Biden administration is going to continue to use this strategy and why not? It’s not like he can run on the economy or the border. Abortion and Donald Trump is all they have. But it’s working.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
My two cents.  I have stated several times that Trump will not be allowed to be seated in the WH.  I think this has become even more evident.

We need a true conservative and a clear message as to why conservatism is better than liberalism.

As for abortion, the message that Americans that voted last night prefer abortions is alarming. Killing innocents is ok...so Hamas beheading innocents is wrong???  ????  Preying on the innocents is WRONG period. We must continue to take a stand.

I believe that the GOP lost because they are not unified and have no clear message.  Trump backpedals and bullies.  That's a terrible message. He set that example on his own.

Ronna who is a Trump pick must also go.  A little late at this point.

Hopefully the new Speaker will help to unify.

I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Online andy58-in-nh

Republican Jay Ruais Elected Mayor of Manchester, New Hampshire

Republicans picked up an important victory on Tuesday night when Jay Ruais won the mayoral race in Manchester, New Hampshire, the state’s most populous city.

This was definitely a bright spot for Republicans, especially here in the Granite State. He didn't win by a lot, but did so in large measure owing to how the outgoing Democrat mayor has allowed homeless and drug addicts free rein in our downtown areas. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

• Technical

After the lack of a 2022 red wave, I said that the Biden administration is going to continue to use this strategy and why not? It’s not like he can run on the economy or the border. Abortion and Donald Trump is all they have. But it’s working.

The GOP has been running out of boomers to vote for them IMO. This has been happening since W.

• Technical
This was definitely a bright spot for Republicans, especially here in the Granite State. He didn't win by a lot, but did so in large measure owing to how the outgoing Democrat mayor has allowed homeless and drug addicts free rein in our downtown areas.

GOP did win in some areas, like in LI and NH, surprisingly. Nothing to write home about though.

Online andy58-in-nh

"Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it."

It works.

Online mountaineer

Maybe Ronna should be replaced by Scott Presler, who seems to be one of the few people who cares about - and actually works to make happen - Republican election victories.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

With regard to the debacle in Ohio (let's kill babies, and then smoke a joint to celebrate!!):

Matt Walsh
@MattWalshBlog
The idea that conservatives should moderate on abortion is not some brilliant new insight. It's the same thing the Republican Establishment has been saying my entire life. Just like my entire life the Republican Establishment has been losing pitifully, failing to lead, failing to move the ball, while blaming social conservatives for their own failures every step of the way. A lot of you are falling for one of the Establishment's oldest tricks.
8:19 AM · Nov 8, 2023

Mary Margaret Olohan
@MaryMargOlohan
THIS. Also: when GOP politicians will slam abortion as murder and acknowledge the atrocities that are being done to babies throughout our country....and then turn around and express willingness to moderate, why are we surprised when GOP loses?
8:33 AM · Nov 8, 2023

• Technical
With regard to the debacle in Ohio (let's kill babies, and then smoke a joint to celebrate!!):

Matt Walsh
@MattWalshBlog
The idea that conservatives should moderate on abortion is not some brilliant new insight. It's the same thing the Republican Establishment has been saying my entire life. Just like my entire life the Republican Establishment has been losing pitifully, failing to lead, failing to move the ball, while blaming social conservatives for their own failures every step of the way. A lot of you are falling for one of the Establishment's oldest tricks.
8:19 AM · Nov 8, 2023

Mary Margaret Olohan
@MaryMargOlohan
THIS. Also: when GOP politicians will slam abortion as murder and acknowledge the atrocities that are being done to babies throughout our country....and then turn around and express willingness to moderate, why are we surprised when GOP loses?
8:33 AM · Nov 8, 2023

Idiotic takes. Utterly idiotic. Coming out stronger against abortion has been a losing proposition for the GOP for years now.

Offline DB

All I can say is people deserve good and hard what they vote for.

Offline cato potatoe

And still so few understand a damn about how any of this works ----  but they remain master whiners.  :shrug:

It shows the trumpy candidates were incompetent and naturally terrible at fundraising.  Seems the people with money do not want to waste it on mindless populism.  Get ready though … the boomer pubs have some kind of martyr fetish, and Donald is going to be in worse financial shape than any candidate the GOP has fielded. 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 02:42:50 pm by cato potatoe »

Online mountaineer

Idiotic takes. Utterly idiotic. Coming out stronger against abortion has been a losing proposition for the GOP for years now.
Here's what a pro-life Democrat says about the Ohio results: "Dems won on abortion. Now, we must promote choice. My fellow Democrats should support crisis pregnancy centers."

She writes in Newsweek:
My Fellow Democrats Should Support Crisis Pregnancy Centers | Opinion
Nov 08, 2023 at 7:00 AM EST
 By Kristen Day
Executive director, Democrats for Life of America

Last month, 16 Democratic state attorneys general signed a letter claiming that pro-life pregnancy resource centers (PRCs) are "misleading consumers and delaying access to critical, time-sensitive reproductive healthcare."

Signaling their intention to sue these centers, the attorneys general added that these centers "do not provide full-scope reproductive healthcare and often use deceptive tactics to lure in patients seeking reproductive healthcare," adding, "these tactics can have dire health consequences and rob patients of their healthcare choices."

These bombastic accusations are themselves misleading.

Democrats believe in a progressive society where the government and its allies work to lift people in marginalized communities—that is why we should be at the forefront of supporting PRCs.

In low-income areas throughout the nation, PRCs are often the only places where women can confirm their pregnancy and receive free help and education during it. While Planned Parenthood receives more than $600 million every year from American taxpayers, crisis pregnancy centers save the government and local communities at least $270 million per year by providing women free ultrasounds, cancer screenings, STI screenings, baby supplies, parental education, counseling, and referrals. ...