Author Topic: Aldi Is Cutting Its Prices in Half This Thanksgiving  (Read 2660 times)

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: Aldi Is Cutting Its Prices in Half This Thanksgiving
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2023, 12:37:03 am »
You don't like your BIL??? I would have never guessed.  :laugh:  I don't care for mine either; pompous, arrogant and stayed with us while his father was passing (who he hadn't seen in over 4 year) because he told us he couldn't afford a hotel.  We found out he has a new 5 bedroom 3.5 bathroom home in VA on 1.75 acres!  Yep, what a SOB -- couldn't bother with his father  .... I could go on -- but at least he won't be at our Thanksgiving table -- yeppers -- something to be grateful for.  happy77
Well my BIL inherited every damn thing and the three sisters got some assorted dishes and POS furniture, that he handed out like he was the laird of the keep. He has no social skills at all, worked about 40 years so far at Disneyland doing the oh so hard work of handing out uniforms and costumes and taking them back in. If your looking for conversation from him you better be a disney fan because other than that he don't know jack and he will bore the, ahem, hell out of you with that. Oh a real biggy for me is he can't bother to remember my wife's birthday. Bluntly he's a right Rat's Ass!

Other than that he's OK :silly:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2023, 12:58:04 am »
I ruthlessly watch sales and stock up when they come around. Load the freezer, make three trips into the store for limited items (in the same store run).

No one says anything about that. Likely, I am not the only one. I stocked up on canned goods last year, so I am pretty good there. Then there is the freeze dried.bulk stuff packed away.

That, and the walleye I put up last summer, and I am in fairly good shape. I have a couple coolers outside in case the power goes down (most likely when the weather is bad, anyway, so frozen stuff should keep for a couple days or longer out there).

Not going to starve, God willing.
I went a week without food once and swore I'd never do that again if I could help it.

I have two freezers -- both sitting half full right now. Meat is expensive and bread and bagels take up a lot of real estate. I haven't stocked up in awhile as Thanksgiving is just around the corner so I'll need space to freeze leftovers, then there will be Christmas leftovers as well. If I run across a great sale on something, I'll still have room.  Beginning of the year, God willing I'll add to both freezers.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2023, 12:59:28 am »
Well my BIL inherited every damn thing and the three sisters got some assorted dishes and POS furniture, that he handed out like he was the laird of the keep. He has no social skills at all, worked about 40 years so far at Disneyland doing the oh so hard work of handing out uniforms and costumes and taking them back in. If your looking for conversation from him you better be a disney fan because other than that he don't know jack and he will bore the, ahem, hell out of you with that. Oh a real biggy for me is he can't bother to remember my wife's birthday. Bluntly he's a right Rat's Ass!

Don't feel bad...my BIL and SIL have never acknowledged my b'day and honestly I don't care. 

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2023, 01:14:10 am »
I have two freezers -- both sitting half full right now. Meat is expensive and bread and bagels take up a lot of real estate. I haven't stocked up in awhile as Thanksgiving is just around the corner so I'll need space to freeze leftovers, then there will be Christmas leftovers as well. If I run across a great sale on something, I'll still have room.  Beginning of the year, God willing I'll add to both freezers.

bagels!!!!! bagels!!!!!!
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline libertybele

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2023, 01:17:44 am »

bagels!!!!! bagels!!!!!!

Who doesn't like a good bagel? We have a bagel shoppe just down the street a bit. Hubby likes the regular size, I like the thin size.  I sometimes use the thin ones to make sandwiches too.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2023, 03:35:23 am »
 ////00000////

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2023, 01:14:19 pm »

My moms brother got everything when her Dad passed.  The 1st son got everything in his culture.  Mom and her sister got squat.  It wouldn't have been so bad if he would have offered up something on his own to his sisters.  But nooo.  I asked my Dad about it a while back about the whole will thing and he said it didn't bother him.  He said Uncle bill was a product of his generation. No hard feelings.  My Pop was a better man than me.  I hated the bastard since I was little. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2023, 01:56:47 pm »
Well I have 4 more coming...son and his family were supposed to go to his inlaws now they're coming here..I'm gonna need a bigger turkey..  :turkeyhunt:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2023, 04:24:04 pm »
My moms brother got everything when her Dad passed.  The 1st son got everything in his culture.  Mom and her sister got squat.  It wouldn't have been so bad if he would have offered up something on his own to his sisters.  But nooo.  I asked my Dad about it a while back about the whole will thing and he said it didn't bother him.  He said Uncle bill was a product of his generation. No hard feelings.  My Pop was a better man than me.  I hated the bastard since I was little.
Well my in laws grew up in rural Ohio and Illinois but there was no eldest son issue then as my FIL and his brother inherited equally and my BIL was the youngest child. It's just something I have never dealt with as my parents always strove to treat us equally and that's exactly how my moms trust is set up, and my parents came from old world Europe where you might expect the eldest son to inherit all :shrug:

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2023, 04:27:43 pm »
Well I have 4 more coming...son and his family were supposed to go to his inlaws now they're coming here..I'm gonna need a bigger turkey..  :turkeyhunt:
It's a shame that the Ron Popeil 'Turkey Stretcher is no longer on the market(ok never was but could have) in this time of high inflation.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2023, 06:10:21 pm »

What a blessing! The BEST kind of problem to have!  happy77 :beer:

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2023, 07:19:16 pm »
and my parents came from old world Europe where you might expect the eldest son to inherit all :shrug:

My Grand parents met on the boat coming to America and got married in So Wisconsin (green County) where many Swiss immigrants settled.  And he followed the old world custom of the 1st born son gets it all.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2023, 08:02:39 pm »
I anticipate being alone this Thanksgiving.  Wife is going to Europe to visit her father and sister, where he might be in his last days.  I was invited by a neighbor to join them for Thanksgiving.  Might do that.

In regard to inheritance, never inherited much of anything.  Nothing from grandparents, my sister stole everything.  When my mother died, she had a will leaving everything split 50/50.  My sister once again stole everything, including what was nailed down, no pun intended.  If I never see her again, it will be too soon.

Family used to mean everything to me, now it means nothing. 

Basically just me and my wife now.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2023, 08:50:03 pm »
I like Aldi's tendency for lower prices, but forget about it competing your entire list as a one stop shop. 

My experience is 50-60% at most.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Wingnut

« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2023, 09:18:26 pm »
I anticipate being alone this Thanksgiving.  Wife is going to Europe to visit her father and sister, where he might be in his last days.  I was invited by a neighbor to join them for Thanksgiving.  Might do that.

In regard to inheritance, never inherited much of anything.  Nothing from grandparents, my sister stole everything.  When my mother died, she had a will leaving everything split 50/50.  My sister once again stole everything, including what was nailed down, no pun intended.  If I never see her again, it will be too soon.

Family used to mean everything to me, now it means nothing. 

Basically just me and my wife now.

For years in 2000's we ditched the family and we went on Holiday at the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs.  It was great.  Some years we even had snow for the Christmas lights lighting event there.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2023, 06:23:08 pm »
I like Aldi's tendency for lower prices, but forget about it competing your entire list as a one stop shop. 

My experience is 50-60% at most.
Where I live, there are usually a few stores in close proximity to each other. You'll have an Aldi and an Ollie's Bargain Outlet on the same block, and a traditional grocery (around here that's usually Tops) down the road. Between the three, it almost always covers everything I need. Ollie's for the dry goods, Aldi for most of the basics, then for the special stuff I go to Tops—they're more expensive but more comprehensive. So I can get a nice local premium cheese for a charcuterie board (yeah, I know, they used to be cheese and cracker trays, but I'm hip, I'm with the times, ya dig?).
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2023, 07:55:26 pm »
For years in 2000's we ditched the family and we went on Holiday at the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs.  It was great.  Some years we even had snow for the Christmas lights lighting event there.
"My sister once again stole everything,"

I've heard of a number of situations where after a parent(s) died, their belongings were supposed to be split evenly between their children. But one child decided to get there first and take the more valuable belongings.
When my parents died, my father (who controlled all the money) bequeathed their life savings evenly between us seven children.
I took my share, and that was it. I simply didn't care who got what out of the rest of their personal belongings. My older brother, who lived close to them, basically took care of them for the last ten years of their life. If he got what was left over, it was all right with me. But he's so personally honest he refused to take any money from one of my sisters who hated my father. She wanted to give her share to him, but he said no,  she has to take her share.
Sort of a reverse situation with my three sisters who all hated my father. They didn't show up for his funeral either. Just us four boys.
Too bad there has to be such acrimony and bad feelings when parents die, but it happens.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 08:21:12 pm by goatprairie »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2023, 09:48:35 pm »

We've been to the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs, lovely hotel. I envy you if you are going again this year.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2023, 10:10:05 pm »
Where I live, there are usually a few stores in close proximity to each other. You'll have an Aldi and an Ollie's Bargain Outlet on the same block, and a traditional grocery (around here that's usually Tops) down the road. Between the three, it almost always covers everything I need. Ollie's for the dry goods, Aldi for most of the basics, then for the special stuff I go to Tops—they're more expensive but more comprehensive. So I can get a nice local premium cheese for a charcuterie board (yeah, I know, they used to be cheese and cracker trays, but I'm hip, I'm with the times, ya dig?).

They just opened an Ollie's near me,  about 20 min away. I have heard nothing but good about them.

Do you like this store @jmyrlefuller

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2023, 10:52:03 pm »
They just opened an Ollie's near me,  about 20 min away. I have heard nothing but good about them.

Do you like this store @jmyrlefuller
  It's one of my favorite places.

Ironically, it was founded by a big-time Democrat (Ollie Rosenberg was big into PA politics) but he died in 1996. And so far, especially in the modern era, they've catered more to a conservative clientele. They were the ones who bailed out Mike Lindell and bought out a bunch of the MyPillows the big retailers stopped stocking... and they sell a lot of Christian books.

They're a no-frills retailer. Inventory does vary widely from week to week, depending on what they can get in stock. A lot of it is discontinued varieties or packaging. But that also means that you're getting about half-off what you might find at a Dollar General or Walmart—let alone a traditional grocery supermarket. Think of it as the world's biggest clearance rack, and you'll get the picture. I usually buy my soaps ($5 for a bottle of Tide, I mean come on!), prepackaged lunches (they often carry these Asian noodle bowls that are super-convenient for a less than $2 buy), and snacks—as well as condiments and spices when there's something I need.

On the whole, it's one of my favorite places to shop.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2023, 02:29:47 am »
Yes, Ollie's has some good stuff, everything from tarps to olive oil. As a member of Ollie's Army -  :laugh: - I have a 15%-off coupon to use by next week, so I'll check out the mixed nuts, fancy crackers and other goodies for gift baskets.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2023, 05:25:22 pm »
My favorite dollar type store is got to be Ocean State Job Lots.

Best prices on name brand toothpaste (I got a tube of Sensodyne that would have been $7.99 at the drug store for $3.59), mouthwash, makeup, and household cleaning supplies.

They also have really good coffee, both for coffee makers like Mr. Coffee and for Keurig's. For half or less than the grocery store. 

@mountaineer
@jmyrlefuller

https://www.oceanstatejoblot.com

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2023, 11:31:41 pm »
Here's a little taste of grocery shopping in the very near future (if not already)

https://twitter.com/JebraFaushay/status/1723482809707204996
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org