Author Topic: America braces for big freeze this winter  (Read 4013 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: America braces for big freeze this winter
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2024, 11:02:56 am »
Probably. But mostly just silly.
They're cats, @DCPatriot

Ours live outside all the time. If they have shelter (like stacked hay) and sufficient nutrition, they'll be fine.
Their biggest worry is probably access to water.

@roamer_1

Thanks for your insight on this. 

Just don't get why our county government will not hesitate to rightfully fine you for leaving an animal outdoors...seems like a contradiction of sorts.

I look at my cat in front of heat vent and then think of these unfortunate souls.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online roamer_1

« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2024, 11:04:48 am »
@roamer_1

Just don't get why our county government will not hesitate to rightfully fine you for leaving an animal outdoors...seems like a contradiction of sorts.

I look at my cat in front of heat vent and then think of these unfortunate souls.

We have two house cats at the ranch, and somewhere around eight barn cats. All are fat and sassy... All are fine through bitter cold.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2024, 11:06:57 am »
We have two house cats at the ranch, and somewhere around eight barn cats. All are fat and sassy... All are fine through bitter cold.

:beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2024, 11:23:08 am »
Have two dear friends who have been feeding a feral cat colony behind Lake Forest Animal Hospital...on a 2-story hill.

With these single-digit all day temperatures, I don't know how they will survive, let alone thrive.

Thinking of dropping in today to ask the Vet/owner if he'd be willing to allow us to install a plug-in heater inside a homemade shelter  with a 100ft heavy duty extension cord so these little creatures don't freeze to death.

Feasible?  Or not??   :shrug:

I seriously doubt anyone will allow an unattended heater (insurance would have a cow)... big fire hazard (and probable nowdays a homeless population bait for any area around DC)... A light bulb under a thick flowerpot is enough to keep water from freezing though (chicken trick).

Our Cats will snuggle with the dog on cold nights, but only on cold nights. We do have a heat lamp on the porch, but it got pretty cold tonight.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 11:25:15 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2024, 12:27:58 pm »
@roamer_1

Our barn cats do really well in the winter. We have used heated water dishes before and they seem to work fine. Now the “barnies” just drink from the cattle waterers (which are heated as well).

Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2024, 07:09:21 pm »
@Elderberry

Everyone I know who had citrus trees lost them. Every last one. I have friends who had 11 orange trees. All gone. You think you should be safe in 9A for the most part. For the last 3 winters, not so much. 8888crybaby

@AllThatJazzZ

I just uncovered my 5 small organge trees and they all look in good shape.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2024, 07:26:53 pm »
I was finally able to make it out my driveway on Thurs night.  Friday morning drive into work was a bit treacherous, but I made it OK.  Everything is still covered in ice, but the sun is subliming it off.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-