Author Topic: America braces for big freeze this winter  (Read 4016 times)

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Re: America braces for big freeze this winter
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2024, 07:08:26 am »
////00000////

It was never cold in Winter before.  Oh, the horror!
The horror! Oh, the horror! This is more than anyone is 'used to'.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online libertybele

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2024, 09:27:40 pm »
We got pounded with 10" of rain last night causing flooding as the storm drain couldn't keep up. 

Strange weather we're having right now.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2024, 09:30:42 pm »
three degrees blissfully above zero here.

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2024, 10:08:04 pm »
three degrees blissfully above zero here.

Send the warmth our way!  happy77
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2024, 10:09:41 pm »
Send the warmth our way!  happy77

it's coming... a big warm front is stacking north behind that cold front...

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2024, 10:13:03 pm »

it's coming... a big warm front is stacking north behind that cold front...

Chinook wind
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2024, 10:25:32 pm »
Chinook wind

Wouldn't that be nice... It's coming on the season for the Snow Eaters.  happy77

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2024, 10:51:00 pm »
Wouldn't that be nice... It's coming on the season for the Snow Eaters.  happy77

There is a big push coming pretty much straight out of the west. Every year we get the deep cold then warm then deep cold then it generally starts warming continually. The main problem with this type of deep cold warm deep cold is that a hard ice layer forms on the snow and animals have a much harder time breaking through to forage and we start seeing winter kills.

GOES west satellite imagery is a good source for what is happening.

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/index.php

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2024, 11:07:55 pm »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2024, 11:58:47 pm »
 ////00000////

Before Global Climate Change, back when hairspray aerosols were eating a hole in the ozone layer over Antarctica, I went sledding in -55F windchills.

Childhood snowsuits were tougher back then.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2024, 12:15:00 am »
Do younguns even wear snow suits anymore?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2024, 12:18:40 am »

They do here.

Online AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2024, 12:22:41 am »
Low 20s on the Texas Gulf Coast last night. I shouldn't complain since there are places where the weather is much worse, but I'm a wimp. In fact, I don't have a coat. Not one that I can find anyway. The important thing is that I have sweaters for my little dog, so at least he's protected when we go into the great outdoors where his bathroom is.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2024, 12:36:43 am »

No one lives on the Gulf of Mexico to be cold.

Low 20s on the Texas Gulf Coast last night. I shouldn't complain since there are places where the weather is much worse, but I'm a wimp. In fact, I don't have a coat. Not one that I can find anyway. The important thing is that I have sweaters for my little dog, so at least he's protected when we go into the great outdoors where his bathroom is.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2024, 01:57:59 am »
I lost all my fruit trees except for one fig tree in the Feb 2021 freeze. Yesterday I was covering my 8 replacement fruit trees. I sure hope they live thru. In that Feb freeze one of the trees I lost was a 30+ yr old Satsuma that had gone thru many freezes before. But that freeze did it in.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2024, 02:54:23 am »
When it gets really cold here, they do. But I can't tell you the number of times I have seen them running around in those hip-hop shorts with the temps in the single digits.

I must be getting soft. I like being fully dressed for the weather any more, and being an island of warm amidst the cold.  :shrug:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2024, 03:48:21 am »
I lost all my fruit trees except for one fig tree in the Feb 2021 freeze. Yesterday I was covering my 8 replacement fruit trees. I sure hope they live thru. In that Feb freeze one of the trees I lost was a 30+ yr old Satsuma that had gone thru many freezes before. But that freeze did it in.

@Elderberry

Everyone I know who had citrus trees lost them. Every last one. I have friends who had 11 orange trees. All gone. You think you should be safe in 9A for the most part. For the last 3 winters, not so much. 8888crybaby

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2024, 07:14:18 am »
Ok, ya bums, what is the big deal of sending us in Northern Bama freaking 0 degrees... 000 ... Goose eggs... Nada Zilch...

Had to cover the chicken coop, add a heat lamp... cover all the faucets and breath holes in the house... Had to cover our State flower tree (Camellia, or as we call it -- Christmas Rose) in the yard cause last year's 7 degrees nearly killed it.

Zero... and we didn't even get but a dusting of ice for our efforts (some in state got 8 inches of snow). My fireplace is a roaring and I stay up most the night to keep it fed.

EDIT: See my next post.... Some areas down here got down to -20 degrees
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 10:27:18 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2024, 07:46:49 am »
When it gets really cold here, they do. But I can't tell you the number of times I have seen them running around in those hip-hop shorts with the temps in the single digits.

I must be getting soft. I like being fully dressed for the weather any more, and being an island of warm amidst the cold.  :shrug:

It's getting caught out that will teach you... Life's a breeze hopping out of a warm truck into a store in your t-shirt... No worries. Get caught 10 miles from town with a busted truck and a long walk... That t-shirt turns out to be surprisingly insufficient. 

Most winters I catch a lot of hell for how many clothes are laying around in my pickup... Been accused of living out of it... Which is kinda true. Nothing comes out of the truck till spring.
But if I get caught out and have that long walk out to town... well, I have enough to be super warm... And probably enough to throw a camp if need be. ALWAYS. All winter long.

Also every winter, I have a 35L pack that I fill up with camp food, mostly mountain house and snickers bars and such. Getting caught out may be an inevitability, But when I do, I prefer hobo-riche.

888high58888

Offline Sighlass

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2024, 10:20:05 am »
I just noticed some places in Alabama at -12 degrees ...... Some places in Northern Mississippi at Minus 20 degrees.... I took a screenshot because it has to be close to an all-time record cold for this region.

BTW... that is colder than the northern states tonight.... Coldest place in continental USA tonight is the boonies of Mississippi (and Alabama). @Roamer

« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 10:25:34 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2024, 10:35:21 am »
I just noticed some places in Alabama at -12 degrees ...... Some places in Northern Mississippi at Minus 20 degrees.... I took a screenshot because it has to be close to an all-time record cold for this region.

BTW... that is colder than the northern states tonight.... Coldest place in continental USA tonight is the boonies of Mississippi (and Alabama). @Roamer

Don't be braggin now... Two nights ago it was -30 here with wind chill down to -66

It's cold, ya'll... but not all that...

Though I reckon it don't fare well for all y'all, with frozen pipes and improper insulation. I imagine it is much more bother since you're not ready for it.

Offline Sighlass

« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2024, 10:40:07 am »
Don't be braggin now... Two nights ago it was -30 here with wind chill down to -66

It's cold, ya'll... but not all that...

Though I reckon it don't fare well for all y'all, with frozen pipes and improper insulation. I imagine it is much more bother since you're not ready for it.

Just looked it up.... The coldest temperature ever recorded in Mississippi was -19°F on January 30, 1966, in Corinth. So it might be an all (modern) time record for Mississippi.... (Coldest in Bama was -27 about 55 years ago)

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2024, 10:47:19 am »
Just looked it up.... The coldest temperature ever recorded in Mississippi was -19°F on January 30, 1966, in Corinth. So it might be an all (modern) time record for Mississippi.... (Coldest in Bama was -27 about 55 years ago)

It's odd to me not to prepare for that inevitability... The insulation would help in the summer, and all you'd need to do is move pipes to interior walls (as a matter of construction standards)... After that, all you need is a decent heat source and the temperature wouldn't matter.

Up in here all that is done as a matter of necessity.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2024, 10:50:11 am »
Have two dear friends who have been feeding a feral cat colony behind Lake Forest Animal Hospital...on a 2-story hill.

With these single-digit all day temperatures, I don't know how they will survive, let alone thrive.

Thinking of dropping in today to ask the Vet/owner if he'd be willing to allow us to install a plug-in heater inside a homemade shelter  with a 100ft heavy duty extension cord so these little creatures don't freeze to death.

Feasible?  Or not??   :shrug:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2024, 10:55:29 am »
Have two dear friends who have been feeding a feral cat colony behind Lake Forest Animal Hospital...on a 2-story hill.

With these single-digit all day temperatures, I don't know how they will survive, let alone thrive.

Thinking of dropping in today to ask the Vet/owner if he'd be willing to allow us to install a plug-in heater inside a homemade shelter  with a 100ft heavy duty extension cord so these little creatures don't freeze to death.

Feasible?  Or not??   :shrug:

Probably. But mostly just silly.
They're cats, @DCPatriot

Ours live outside all the time. If they have shelter (like stacked hay) and sufficient nutrition, they'll be fine.
Their biggest worry is probably access to water.