Author Topic: The Case For A Robust U.S. Amphibious Warfare Force  (Read 250 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Case For A Robust U.S. Amphibious Warfare Force
« on: November 03, 2023, 06:06:10 pm »
The Case For A Robust U.S. Amphibious Warfare Force
This situation will only get worse if the Department of Defense is allowed to go forward with its plan to halt production of the LPD 17s.

ByDaniel GourePublished2 days ago

STRAIT OF HORMUZ (Aug. 4, 2021) The Wasp-class amphibious assault ship USS Iwo Jima (LHD 7) transits the Strait of Hormuz, Aug. 4, 2021. Iwo Jima is deployed to the U.S. 5th Fleet area of operations to ensure maritime stability and security in the Central Region, connecting the Mediterranean and the Pacific through the western Indian Ocean and three strategic choke points. (U.S. Navy photo by Seaman Logan Kaczmarek)STRAIT OF HORMUZ (Aug. 4, 2021) The Wasp-class amphibious assault ship USS Iwo Jima (LHD 7) transits the Strait of Hormuz, Aug. 4, 2021. Iwo Jima is deployed to the U.S. 5th Fleet area of operations to ensure maritime stability and security in the Central Region, connecting the Mediterranean and the Pacific through the western Indian Ocean and three strategic choke points. (U.S. Navy photo by Seaman Logan Kaczmarek)

Boxer Mike Tyson famously observed that “everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.” Unfortunately, over the past several decades, the United States planning for future conflicts and the force structure and defense industrial base necessary for such support has had to adjust to many “punches” from adversaries. The events of 9/11 once constituted such a blow, as did the rise of great power competitors, culminating in Russia’s February 2022 invasion of Ukraine. Hamas’ monstrous 10/7 attack on Israel and the prospect of a multi-front war between that state and its regional adversaries looks to be a third such punch.

U.S. Response
The Department of Defense has repeatedly come up short in predicting future conflicts. Unfortunately, the realization of its errors only occurs after the Pentagon has made major changes in force structure, acquisition programs, and support for the defense industrial base. In some instances, the U.S. military can rapidly respond to such strategic shifts. Much of the time options for change have been limited, or else the timelines associated with reversing changes made in forces and equipment require years and major costs.

The reality that the future is uncertain and that threats can readily morph puts a premium on flexible forces that can address a broad array of potential missions. This is the direction amphibious warfare should take for the U.S. going forward.

https://www.19fortyfive.com/2023/11/the-case-for-a-robust-u-s-amphibious-warfare-force/
« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 06:07:01 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson