Author Topic: Who has the most nuclear weapons, US or Russia? Nuclear weapons treaties explained  (Read 241 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Who has the most nuclear weapons, US or Russia? Nuclear weapons treaties explained.
Story by Caitlin McLean, USA TODAY  •
1d

There are around 13,000 nuclear warheads in the world. These weapons are known for their ability to cause mass destruction and death.

Because of this, threats about nuclear attacks are taken seriously.  Google searches for "nuclear weapons" and "nuclear war" spiked on Feb. 24, 2022, following the Russian invasion of Ukraine.  In late March, North Korea said it tested a nuclear-capable underwater drone that could create a “radioactive tsunami” able to destroy ports, the Associated Press reported. Analysts raised doubts about the claim, according to the AP.

With this rise in threats and concern about nuclear war, some may wonder which country has the largest stockpile of these dangerous weapons.

Who has the most nuclear weapons?
Reports on countries' nuclear arsenals vary, but the consensus is Russia has the largest number in its arsenal, followed by the United States.

According to Business Insider, Russia has 6,850 nuclear weapons (1,600 deployed, 2,750 stored and 2,500 retired). The U.S., on the other hand, has 6,450 nuclear weapons (1,750 deployed, 2,050 stored and 2,650 retired).

https://www.msn.com/en-za/news/world/who-has-the-most-nuclear-weapons-us-or-russia-nuclear-weapons-treaties-explained/ar-AA11qjKY
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson