Author Topic: Personnel cuts and force redesign ahead for Army special operations  (Read 391 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Personnel cuts and force redesign ahead for Army special operations
By Todd South
 Nov 1, 04:11 PM

Special Forces Operational Detachment Alpha, 7th Special Forces (Airborne), executes a Demo and live fire exercise at Camp “Bull” Simons , Fla., June 29, 2023. (Spc. Christopher Sanchez/Army)
The Army will cut as many as 3,000 positions in Army special operations forces despite pushback from key leaders in the SOF community and members of Congress.

“There will be cuts to Army SOF,” Chris Maier, assistant secretary of defense for special operations and low-intensity conflict said Tuesday at the National Defense Industrial Association’s 34th annual symposium on the topic. “The Army’s in a tough place, not only from recruiting…but they’re trying to transition to a different fight as we all are, and I think one of the impacts of that is requests by the Army to cut some of the Army special operations forces.”

Army Times reported in mid-October that many of the cuts would be to unfilled billets within U.S. Army Special Operations Command and would eliminate as much as 10% of the positions in that command.

Officials at the symposium noted that many of the cuts to both positions and actual personnel will come at the expense of support and enabling jobs such as logistics, civil affairs and psychological operations, not traditional operators.

But that provided little comfort to leaders and supporters of the SOF community.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2023/11/01/personnel-cuts-and-a-force-redesign-ahead-for-army-special-operations/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Personnel cuts and force redesign ahead for Army special operations
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2023, 02:29:09 pm »
With serious problems in Israel, Ukraine, Taiwan and, I'm guessing, Korea will become a serious problem soon.  With all this going on the military wants to cut forces and the government bring in millions more illegals?  Is Thoroughly Woke Milley still Chairman of the Joint Chiefs?
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2023, 08:11:45 pm »
If you cut the support people,you cripple the ability of the operators to complete their missions.

Anybody that underestimates the value of a competent support force is a clueless fool.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2023, 09:00:14 pm »
They'll use National Guard and Reserve troops as cannon fodder like they did after Desert Storm. 

What citizen soldier didn't like multiple deployments to Bosnia, Kosovo, and Haiti?
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright