Author Topic: My father, Elie Wiesel, survived Auschwitz. He'd ask these questions about Israel-Hamas war.  (Read 211 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
 My father, Elie Wiesel, survived Auschwitz. He'd ask these questions about Israel-Hamas war.
Opinion by Elisha Wiesel
 •
53m

In his autobiographical book, "Night," my father, Elie Wiesel, described the daily horror he and more than a million other Jews suffered in Auschwitz, the most infamous Nazi death camp. My father's testimony is especially relevant now in the aftermath of Hamas' Oct. 7 attack, the worst inflicted on Jewish people since the Holocaust.

I encourage teachers to assign "Night" and to invite their students to engage in hard conversations and ask impossible questions about evil and humanity. I invite adults to read the book and to ask hard questions of themselves and others as well.

If my father’s story grips you, understand that the Holocaust did not happen in a vacuum. Learn and confront the tragic history of antisemitism and the blood libel, the centuries-old accusation that Jews murder the innocent. And learn who my father was.

My father was a writer who became an activist and a Nobel Peace Prize winner. He was a proud Jew who felt compelled to fight suffering everywhere. He spoke up for the victims of genocide in Sudan and Rwanda, and challenged President Bill Clinton to address the suffering of Bosnian Muslims.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/my-father-elie-wiesel-survived-auschwitz-hed-ask-these-questions-about-israel-hamas-war/ar-AA1jcoN2
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson