Author Topic: Will China pay climate change “loss and damage”?  (Read 204 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Will China pay climate change “loss and damage”?
« on: November 02, 2023, 10:44:36 am »
Will China pay climate change “loss and damage”?
October 31st, 2023|91 Comments

I normally despise the bogus issue of “loss and damage,” which is featured in the upcoming COP 28 extravaganza. But for now, I love it because it has squarely raised the long overdue issue of China’s status as a so-called developing country.

The simple issue is, will China pay into the new Loss and Damages Fund? Assuming they ever get it going. It seems obvious they should, and a lot of countries are calling for it, including the US, which might even make it a condition of our participation.

I mean, China is the world’s largest CO2 emitter, right? They produce more electricity than the US, EU, and UK combined, mostly by burning billions of tons of coal a year. What could be simpler?

https://www.cfact.org/2023/10/31/will-china-pay-climate-change-loss-and-damage/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Will China pay climate change “loss and damage”?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2023, 10:45:15 am »

NO!
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson