Author Topic: News Flash: Prison is Hell! Now more so with Climate Change  (Read 300 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
News Flash: Prison is Hell! Now more so with Climate Change
« on: November 01, 2023, 10:30:54 am »
News Flash: Prison is Hell! Now more so with Climate Change
1 hour ago Anthony Watts

From the “does anybody really give a damn” department comes another inane news release that I never bothered to finish reading. – Anthony

Prisons vulnerable to natural disasters, but ill-prepared

A study of 110 Colorado facilities found that 75%, housing 83% of the state’s incarcerated population, are at risk of climate-related hazards

Three-quarters of Colorado prisons are likely to experience a natural disaster in the coming years, but due to aging infrastructure and outdated policies, many are ill-equipped to keep residents safe, suggests new CU Boulder research.

The study, published in the journal Natural Hazards Review, comes on the heels of one of the hottest summers on record and as U.S. lawmakers are calling for an investigation into a rash of what are believed to be heat-related deaths in the nation’s prisons.

In other research, including interviews and focus groups with 35 formerly incarcerated Coloradans, the researchers found that most had already suffered from climate-related hazards, experiencing everything from “brutally hot” or “ice cold” cells to respiratory problems related to wildfire smoke and lack of toilet facilities during floods.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/11/01/news-flash-prison-is-hell-now-more-so-with-climate-change/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: News Flash: Prison is Hell! Now more so with Climate Change
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2023, 10:05:24 pm »
Aw... that's just too bad...!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: News Flash: Prison is Hell! Now more so with Climate Change
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2023, 10:22:54 pm »
Three-quarters of Colorado prisons are likely to experience a natural disaster in the coming years, but due to aging infrastructure and outdated policies, many are ill-equipped to keep residents safe, suggests new CU Boulder research.
OhhhKay!

Define "natural disaster". Not just some wee tremor that gets lost in the rumble of passing trucks, not another triple digit summer day in the southern deserty bits, not a bit of snow in a state known for ski slopes. C'mon, let me know what you're predicting, here.

How many "coming years" are we talking about, here?

Wait long enough, and most anything could happen.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis