Author Topic: After 3000.09 update, DOD stays quiet on lethal autonomous weapon reviews  (Read 241 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
After 3000.09 update, DOD stays quiet on lethal autonomous weapon reviews
Pentagon officials have emphasized the department’s intent to operate in a trustworthy manner — but repeatedly declined to share any information about specific weapons in the context of the review process.
BY
BRANDI VINCENT
OCTOBER 27, 2023

Pentagon officials are operating under a seemingly de facto standard where they do not discuss when or what weapon systems have been, are, or will be subject to the freshly updated 3000.09 review process for examining and approving the deployment of lethal autonomous platforms that can engage military targets without troops intervening, DefenseScoop has learned.

The first updated version of the Defense Department’s long-standing official policy — Directive 3000.09, “Autonomy in Weapon Systems” — went into effect in January.

That revamped guiding document defines such systems as those that “once activated, can select and engage targets without further intervention by an operator.”

Outlining some exceptions, the policy broadly assigns certain senior defense officials with responsibilities around overseeing the development, procurement, testing, fielding and ultimate use of autonomous weapons. It also directs the Pentagon to set up a new working group of officials charged with heading senior-level reviews of these still-emerging technologies.

https://defensescoop.com/2023/10/27/after-3000-09-update-dod-stays-quiet-on-lethal-autonomous-weapon-reviews/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
"You can trust me, the check is in the mail." *****rollingeyes*****
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson