Author Topic: White House AI exec order raises questions on future of DoD innovation  (Read 244 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
White House AI exec order raises questions on future of DoD innovation

"What's really going to matter is how these various departments and agencies actually start building the rules and interpreting the guidance that they received in the executive order," Klon Kitchen of Beacon Global Strategies told Breaking Defense.
By   JASPREET GILL
on October 30, 2023 at 4:24 PM

WASHINGTON — A new artificial intelligence executive order signed by President Joe Biden today is being hailed by the administration as one of the “most significant actions ever taken by any government to advance the field of AI safety” in order to “ensure that America leads the way” in managing risks posed by the technology.

But new regulations on how the commercial world develops AI could have an impact on how the Defense Department and industry collaborate moving forward, with a lot of unknown effects that will need to be worked out.

“I think the biggest implication for DoD is how this will impact acquisition because…anybody who’s developing AI models and wanting to do business with the DoD is going to have to adhere to these new standards,” Klon Kitchen, the head of the global technology policy practice at Beacon Global Strategies, told Breaking Defense today.

“The executive order has some pretty extensive requirements for anyone who’s developing or deploying dual-use models,” he added. “So all the major contractors and integrators and that kind of thing are going to have pretty significant reporting requirements associated with their frontier models.”

https://breakingdefense.com/2023/10/white-house-ai-exec-order-raises-questions-on-future-of-dod-innovation/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: White House AI exec order raises questions on future of DoD innovation
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2023, 01:53:33 pm »
DOD "innovation" is a fairy-tale! :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson